Near Camp Douglas in Juneau County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Wisconsin Military Reservation
In 1927 the Wisconsin Military Reservation was renamed Camp Williams in honor of Lt. Col. Charles R. Williams, the training camp's Quartermaster who is buried on the site. Hundreds of thousands of Guard members have been trained on the installation since 1900. In 1957 the state legislature ordered the portion of the Reservation used by the Air National Guard to be named Volk Field in honor of Lt. Jerome A. Volk, the first Wisconsin fighter
Erected 1991 by the Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 299.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° 55.511′ N, 90° 15.662′ W. Marker is near Camp Douglas, Wisconsin, in Juneau County. Marker can be reached from County Highway C north of Interstate 90/94. Click for map. Marker is located inside Volk Field / Camp Williams military base, beyond the security checkpoint, on Williams Street east of Wisconsin Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Independence Drive, Camp Douglas WI 54618, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In memory of 1st Lt. Jerome A. Volk (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Wisconsin Winnebago Veterans Monument (approx. 0.2 miles away); Castle Rock (approx. ¼ mile away); Mesas and Buttes (approx. 3 miles away); Ice Age National Scientific Reserve (approx. 3.1 miles away); New Lisbon Civil War Memorial (approx. 5.9 miles away); Mrs Salter Killed Here (approx. 8.6 miles away); Elroy – Sparta State Trail (approx. 10.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Camp Douglas.
Also see . . .
1. Volk Field - History. (Submitted on June 10, 2010.)
2. Volk Field Air National Guard Base. Wikipedia entry. (Submitted on June 10, 2010.)
3. Volk Field / Camp Williams Memorial Cemetery. "Originally set aside as the burial site for Private Robert W. Williams, it was for years the resting place of only Private Williams and his father, Lieutenant Colonel Charles R. Williams. It has since acquired two other markers. The first is a memorial marker for Colonel Jack C. King and the second is the burial site of Brigadier General Hugh M. Simonson."
"[Private Williams] remains were among the first to be returned to the United States and were buried on the military reservation where he was born." (Submitted on June 10, 2010.)
Categories. • Military •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 744 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.