Society Hill in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Society Hill Depot
This depot, built shortly after the Civil War, features a distinctive architectural design favored by the Cheraw & Darlington Railroad during its history as an independent line. The C & D, chartered in 1849, ran 40 miles between Cheraw and present-day Florence and began service in 1855. The first combined passenger and freight depot in Society Hill was built nearby on West Depot St.
Federal troops burned the original depot, a short distance north, in March 1865. This depot, constructed on the same plans, was built there by 1866. The Cheraw & Darlington RR was acquired by the Atlantic Coast Line RR in 1898. This was a freight and passenger depot until the 1940s and a freight depot until 1973. Now owned by the Town of Society Hill, it was moved here in 2002.
Erected 2008 by Darlington County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16-58.)
Location. 34° 31.115′ N, 79° 50.641′ W. Marker is in Society Hill, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 15) and Depot Street, on the left when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Society Hill SC 29593, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Execution of Adam Cusack (here, next to this marker); Long Bluff (approx. half a mile away); Welsh Neck Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Lawrence Faulkner / Simon Brown (approx. 0.6 miles away); Henry C. Burn House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Trinity Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Zachariah W. Wines (approx. 0.9 miles away); Society Hill Library Society (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Society Hill.
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 726 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.