Charleston in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Trinity Methodist Church Original Site / William Hammett
Erected 2005 by Trinity United Methodist Church. (Marker Number 10-8.)
Location. 32° 46.968′ N, 79° 55.848′ W. Marker is in Charleston, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is at the intersection of Hasell Street and Maiden Lane, on the right when traveling east on Hasell Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Col. William Rhett House (within shouting distance of this marker); William Rhett House (within shouting distance of this marker); William C. McElheran House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Peter's Catholic Church (about 400 feet away); Dr. Joseph Johnson House†† (about 600 feet away); Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim (about 700 feet away); a different marker also named Kahal Kadosh Beth Elohim (about 700 feet away); St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Charleston.
More about this marker. This marker replaces one erected in 1970 by the Pee Dee Chapter Colonial Dames of the XVII Century.
Also see . . . Photos of Trinity Methodist Church in Charleston, SC. Here is a link to photos of Trinity Methodist Church as part of a modern photographic project of America's historic churches and synagogues. (Submitted on January 24, 2011, by Steven Hyatt of Charleston, South Carolina.)
1. Trinity's Place in Early Methodism
Methodism in America was organized officially at the “Christmas Conference” in Baltimore, Maryland, in 1784. On February 27, 1785, Francis Asbury arrived in Charleston, South Carolina, where he founded the cityís first
The fifth session of the South Carolina Conference began at Cumberland Street Church in February, 1791, but it was held over a day or two pending the arrival of Dr. Thomas Coke who had been shipwrecked off Edisto Island. Coke was traveling from Jamaica in the company of Rev. William Hammet, a native of Ireland and a member of the British Conference. Hammet had been preaching in the West Indies since 1786 with some success, but he also faced some strong opposition to Methodism's antislavery principle. Since Hammet had become very ill, Coke brought him to Charleston for a change of climate and situation. At the Conference in Charleston, Hammetís inspired preaching captivated the congregation, some of whom demanded that the eloquent Irishman be assigned as Cumberlandís pastor.
Asbury already had issued pastoral appointments, and he would not consider permitting a congregation to select itís own minister. Hammet followed Asbury from Charleston to Philadelphia, then to New York. By May, 1791, Asbury had consented to appoint Hammet as the assistant minister for Cumberland. Hammet refused the appointment and returned to Charleston.
On November 28, 1791, Hammet disavowed “Asbury Methodism” led half of the white
The original Trinity Primitive Methodist Church, a wooden structure, burned in the Charleston fire of 1838. It was replaced immediately by a brick building which stood until 1902 after having suffered fire, federal bombardment during the Civil War, hurricanes, and an earthquake. The last Trinity sanctuary on Hasell Street was used only 24 years by the congregation.
From the church history of Trinity United Methodist Church.
— Submitted June 13, 2010, by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,336 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 3, 4. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 5. submitted on , by Michael Sean Nix of Spartanburg, South Carolina. 6. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.