“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Jacksonville in Cherokee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Craft Baptist Church

Craft Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Amanda Hartley, June 8, 2010
1. Craft Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Organized in 1891 at the Shiloh schoolhouse by members of the Baptist Church of Christ at Corinth, this church was originally called the Baptist Church of Christ at Shiloh. Charter members elected E. M. Carter as the first pastor. The church was soon renamed the Baptist Church of Christ at New Independence, reflecting its location west of the schoolhouse.

Members constructed a building in 1893, and in 1899, they changed the name to Craft Baptist Church of Christ. A new building was constructed in 1910, which members replaced in 1953, a year after expanding to weekly worship services. Up until 1944, members me for worship once a month, and twice a month from 1944 until 1953, reflecting the difficulties in attaining fulltime pastors in rural communities.

The church has been active in providing for the physical, spiritual and educational needs of Cherokee County residents since its early years. Members and pastors have a long record of involvement in education, allowing ministerial students from Jacksonville College to preach here. Several pastors have also served in colleges, seminaries and other educational institutions. A number of Craft Baptist Church pastors have served as presidents of state and national associations; others have become foreign missionaries. Additionally, members have aided needy residents in the community through food pantries, holiday food baskets and a benevolent fund for utility, medical and other expenses. Today, more than 100 years after its establishment, Craft Baptist Church continues to be a spiritual beacon for central and northern Cherokee County.

Marker is property of the State of Texas
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13972.)
Location. 31° 55.112′ N, 95° 14.307′ W. Marker is near Jacksonville, Texas, in Cherokee County. Marker is on County Road 1616 near County Road 1615, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Coordinates are approximate. Marker is in this post office area: Jacksonville TX 75766, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Neches Saline Road (approx. 6.7 miles away); Love's Lookout (approx. 8 miles away); Rusk (approx. 9 miles away); Cherokee County C.S.A. (approx. 9.9 miles away); Cherokee County (approx. 10 miles away); Cherokee County Courthouse (approx. 10 miles away); Bachelor Girl's Library Club (approx. 10 miles away); Norman Law Firm (approx. 10 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Jacksonville.
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. This page has been viewed 660 times since then and 75 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Amanda Hartley of Tyler, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area picture of the marker and its surroundings. • Pictures of Craft Baptist Church. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement