Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Kenbridge in Lunenburg County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lunenburg County / Nottoway County

 
 
Lunenburg County Marker (obverse) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 13, 2010
1. Lunenburg County Marker (obverse)
Inscription. (Obverse)
Lunenburg County
Lunenburg County was formed in 1746 from Brunswick County. Named for King George II, Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg, a German possession of England's Hanoverian kings, Lunenburg County's territory originally included the counties of Bedford, Campbell, Charlotte, Franklin, Halifax, Henry, Mecklenburg, Patrick, Pittsylvania, & a part of Appomattox County. During the Revolutionary War, British cavalry commander Lt. Col. Banastre Tarleton's troops conducted raids here and throughout Southside Virginia in Jul. 1781. The county seat is Lunenburg. In 1827, William A. Howard and Dabney Cosby, Sr., completed the county's Roman Revival courthouse, which was modeled after a Thomas Jefferson design.

(Reverse)
Nottoway County
Nottoway County was formed from Amelia County by the General Assembly in 1788. In July 1781, legendary American Revolutionary soldier Peter Francisco encountered about nine of British Lt. Gen. Banastre Tarleton's dragoons at Ward's Tavern. Using his legendary strength and cunning, Francisco single-handedly bested his enemies. The county seat is Nottoway. The Roman Revival courthouse there was completed in 1843 by Branch H. Ellington to replace a 1798 courthouse. The new structure included elements of Thomas Jefferson's architectural style in its
Nottoway County Marker (reverse) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 13, 2010
2. Nottoway County Marker (reverse)
design. Former Virginia Governor William Hodges Mann (1843-1927) lived in the county.
 
Erected 2006 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Z 45.)
 
Location. 37° 0.654′ N, 78° 4.228′ W. Marker is near Kenbridge, Virginia, in Lunenburg County. Marker is on Blackstone Road (Virginia Route 40) 0.4 miles north of Fletcher Chapel Road (Virginia Route 601), on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kenbridge VA 23944, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town of Kenbridge (approx. 4.7 miles away); Craig's Mill (approx. 4.7 miles away); Union Academy (approx. 4.7 miles away); St. John's Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Blackstone Female Institute (approx. 5.5 miles away); Jamestown Oaks (approx. 5.5 miles away); Blackstone College (approx. 5.8 miles away); Blackstone (approx. 6.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Kenbridge.
 
Also see . . .
1. Lunenburg County, Virginia. (Submitted on June 14, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
2. Nottoway County, Virginia. (Submitted on June 14, 2010, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Political SubdivisionsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Blackstone Rd (facing south) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 13, 2010
3. Blackstone Rd (facing south)
Blackstone Rd (facing north) image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, June 13, 2010
4. Blackstone Rd (facing north)
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 603 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement