Cave City in Edmonson County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
Erected 1970 by The Kentucky Historical Society and the Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1385.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Believe It or Not, and the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 9.009′ N, 86° 2.618′ W. Marker is in Cave City, Kentucky, in Edmonson County. Marker is on Old Mammoth Cave Road (at milepost 15), 1.2 miles north of Mammoth Cave Road (Kentucky Route 70), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1240 Old Mammoth Cave Rd, Cave City KY 42127, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Union City: Cave Crossroads (approx. 1.8 miles away); Locust Grove Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away); Hearth and Home (approx. 1.8 miles away); Diamond Caverns (approx. 2.6 miles away); a different marker also named Diamond Caverns (approx. 2.6 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is next to the Wayfarer Hotel, where there is a museum, and a path to the cave entrance.
Also see . . .
1. The Story of Floyd Collins, Trapped in the Cave. by James M. Deem (Submitted on April 29, 2006.)
2. Floyd Collins - Sand Cave. Illustrated with contemporary and vintage photos. Tells the story of the rescue. (Submitted on April 29, 2006.)
3. Floyd Collins: America's Greatest Doomed Cave Explorer. A better telling, this page also continues the story past his death; telling of his glass-topped coffin, the chained coffin, and his body's brief visit to a near-by field, where he lost his leg. (Submitted on April 29, 2006.)
4. The Floyd Collins Web Page. Story, Poem, Photos, Song, Video, and the Rock that trapped poor Floyd. (Submitted on April 29, 2006.)
5. Vernon Dalhart's 1925 recording "Death of Floyd Collins". Click to hear song (Real Audio format). (Submitted on April 29, 2006.)
6. Trapped! the Story of Floyd Collins. Book by Robert K. Murray and Roger W. Brucker on Amazon.com, with Search Inside feature. (Submitted on April 29, 2006.)
Categories. • Natural Features • Notable Events •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Trinket Troy of Burke, Virginia. This page has been viewed 3,993 times since then and 29 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on , by Trinket Troy of Burke, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of cave entrance • Marker at cave entrance • Can you help?