Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for Horses
The Museum in the Streets
The Methodist Episcopal Church had its beginnings in Ridgefield 1n 1787 when the first meeting was held – just 21 years after Methodism had been introduced into the U.S. from England. In 1789 Jesse Lee, a native of Virginia, was sent north as a circuit rider. His third sermon in Connecticut was preached at the Independent Schoolhouse on Main St. In 1841 a second meetinghouse was built, and in 1883 the building was moved back on the property where it was enlarged and remodeled in the Queen Anne style. The church was demolished in the 1960s and a new church built further south on the old town green.
The Watering Trough for horses and dogs was presented to the town by John Ames Mitchell some time around 1912. It stood at the intersection of Main and Catoonah Streets, remaining there until 1922, by which time cars had replaced horses and it was no longer needed. It was moved to Titicus where it remained until the flood of 1955 when it was again moved, this time to its present location at the intersection of Olmstead and West Lanes. Mitchell was Harvard-educated, an artist, illustrator and writer. He founded the original "Life" magazine in 1883. He died at his home on West Lane in 1918. (Marker Number 12.)
Location. 41° 16.889′ N, 73° Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Great Fire of 1895 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Museum in the Streets (within shouting distance of this marker); Bailey Avenue: A Short-Cut to the Train Station (within shouting distance of this marker but has been reported missing); More of the Great Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); The Livery Stable and the First Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Village Center in the Early 1900s (within shouting distance of this marker); The Village in the 1900s (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bissell's – Destroyed by Two Conflagrations (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Ridgefield.
More about this marker. The photos on the marker show the Methodist Episcopal Church in the 1950s and the Watering Trough in its original location on Main Street with Town Hall behind it.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Together, they comprise
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 795 times since then and 74 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.