Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Village Center in the Early 1900s
—The Museum in the Streets —
Henry Mead and His Wife are seen standing on the stoop of their grocery store in the early part of the 20th century. The building was moved when Ridgefield Hardware built their new store in 1948. Today Ridgefield Hardware is one of the oldest family businesses in Ridgefield.
The Scott house, to the right of the Mead Store was built around 1714 on Proprietor's Lot #13 by Irish-born David Scott. In 1925 the house was moved around the corner to Catoonah Street to make way for Ernest Scott's (no relation to David) new brick commercial block. In 1999, the house was slated for demolition, but was saved by a group of preservationists. The house, now rebuilt, is located on Sunset Lane and serves as the town's Historical Society.
The American Women's Voluntary Services, Motor Transport Service, presented the public clock to the town in 1958 to commemorate its work during World War II. The AWVS unit worked with the American Red Cross and took part in many war effort fund raising events. (Marker Number 16.)
Location. 41° 16.85′ N, 73° 29.917′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 35) and Catoonah Street, on the right when traveling south on Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 383 Main Street, Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. More of the Great Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); Bissell's – Destroyed by Two Conflagrations (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Fire of 1895 (within shouting distance of this marker); The Original Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The First Society of Ridgefield (within shouting distance of this marker); A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for Horses (within shouting distance of this marker); The Museum in the Streets (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bailey Avenue: A Short-Cut to the Train Station (about 300 feet away but has been reported missing). Click for a list of all markers in Ridgefield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • War, World II •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 769 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.