Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tampa in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

“Cuba”

The Official Newspaper of the Cuban Revolutionary Party

 

—1887 – 1898 —

 
"Cuba" The Official Newspaper of the Cuban Revolutionary Party Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 14, 2010
1. "Cuba" The Official Newspaper of the Cuban Revolutionary Party Marker
Inscription.  On this site was published the historic newspaper “Cuba,” dedicated to the cause of Cuban Independence.

“Cuba” was the successor of “El Crítico De Ybor City.” Its editor was Ramon Rivero y Rivero, a great revolutionist.

In 1891 Rivero collaborated with José Martí in drafting the Basis for the Cuban Revolutionary Party.
 
Erected 1961 by The Oliva Tobacco Co. (through a project of the Ybor City Rotary Club).
 
Location. 27° 57.656′ N, 82° 26.695′ W. Marker is in Tampa, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is on East 8th Avenue west of Avenida República de Cuba (North 14th Street), on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker stands in front of the outdoor courtyard of the New World Brewery, a brewery and bar within the Ybor City Historic District (a National Historic Landmark District).

The marker is visible from the TECO Line Streetcar System, which runs along East 8th Avenue. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1313 East 8th Avenue, Tampa FL 33605, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ybor City's First Fire Station (a few steps from this marker); La Casa de Pedroso
"Cuba" Marker in front of the New World Brewery image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 14, 2010
2. "Cuba" Marker in front of the New World Brewery
(within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named La Casa de Pedroso (within shouting distance of this marker); Antonio Maceo Grajales (within shouting distance of this marker); Jose Marti (within shouting distance of this marker); El Chino — Pajarito Restaurant (within shouting distance of this marker); La Liga Patriotica De Instruccion (within shouting distance of this marker); Cradle of Cuban Liberty (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Tampa.
 
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the emblem of the Ybor City Rotary Club, which features the flags of the USA, Cuba, and historical variants of the flags of Italy and Spain, the steamship Hutchinson, and a cigar.
 
Regarding “Cuba”. Cuba and El Critico de Ybor City were among numerous short-lived Spanish-language newspapers to be published in the factory town of Ybor City. The papers suffered from a lack of sponsors and subscribers, since most of Ybor City's population followed the news through the "Lectores", who daily read to cigar workers over loudspeaker in Ybor's factories.

Ramon Rivero by 1897 published three editions of Cuba weekly. The paper left him in debt, but reportedly he kept it going out of sheer patriotism.
(Source: Tinajero, Araceli. Grasberg, Judith E. "El Lector: A History of the Cigar Factory Reader", pg. 96-97. University of Texas Press, 2010.)
 
Additional keywords. Ybor City Historic District, Partido Revolucionario Cubano
 
Categories. CommunicationsNotable PersonsPatriots & PatriotismPolitics
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,401 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 18, 2016.
Paid Advertisement