Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
The Village in the 1900s
—The Museum in the Streets —
The International Order Of Odd Fellows, Pilgrim Lodge No. 45 was established in Ridgefield in 1847, meeting in the Masonic Hall until 1895 when the structure was destroyed in the Great Fire. The Odd Fellows built their own building in 1928 and it soon became a popular meeting place. During the 1930s and 40s many dances and other activities were held there. In 1956 the Lodge sold the building and moved to a carriage house on King Lane where it is now part of the Methodist Church. The original building now houses retail businesses.
Lucius H. Biglow built the Tudor style structure in 1913. Known as the Telephone Building, it housed not only the telephone company but also a bakery, a plumbing and electrical shop, a real-estate office and a dry goods store. It was bought by the Amatuzzi Family in the 1970s. The Amatuzzi family is remembered for their generosity, having contributed thousands of pizzas to students, sports teams, scouts, senior citizens and many other organizations. (Marker Number 10.)
Location. 41° 16.95′ N, 73° 29.916′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 35) and Bailey Avenue, on the right when traveling south on Main Street Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Main Street in the Late 1800s (within shouting distance of this marker); Ballard Park (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Smith Tavern – A Colonial Meeting Place (about 300 feet away); The Museum in the Streets (about 300 feet away); Bailey Avenue: A Short-Cut to the Train Station (about 300 feet away but has been reported missing); Ridgefield (about 400 feet away); A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for Horses (about 400 feet away); The Great Fire of 1895 (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Ridgefield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Categories. • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 637 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.