Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sullivans Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Coastal Defense: The Endicott System

1898 - 1943

 
 
Coastal Defense: The Endicott System Marker image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 3, 2010
1. Coastal Defense: The Endicott System Marker
Inscription. Battery Jasper, the black, concrete structure in front of you, was built in 1898 as part of the Endicott System - a series of concrete and steel fortifications armed with heavy-caliber guns, along the U.S. coastline. With the support of smaller batteries nearby, Battery Jasper was designed to protect Charleston Harbor.

The Endicott System developed from America's need to modernize coastal defenses in the 1880s. The system coordinated cannon, mortars, rapid-fire weapons, electrically controlled minefields, and round-the-clock coastal surveillance to protect against enemy attack. By World War II, the Endicott System was obsolete. In 1943 it was replaced here at Fort Moultrie by a new system of harbor defense. The HECP (Harbor Entrance Control Post) inside the fort remains from that new system.

(Caption on Lower Left):
Four 12-inch mortars, like those below, were positioned on each of the four emplacements of Battery Capron on Sullivans Island. They were grouped to fire 700-pound shells simultaneously at an enemy ship.

(Caption for photo on upper right):
One of four "disappearing" rifles at Battery Jasper, WWI-WWII. These guns fired 10-inch 571-pound shells.

(Caption for lower center photo):
Nitroglycerine-based powder replaced black powder and breech-loading rifles replaced muzzle-loading
Coastal Defense: The Endicott System Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, August 3, 2013
2. Coastal Defense: The Endicott System Marker
cannon, increasing range and destructive power of shells.

(Lower Right Caption):
Mines controlled by electric cables were placed at the entrance to Charleston Harbor. Mine fields were protected by batteries of rapid-fire 4.7 inch guns.
 
Location. 32° 45.531′ N, 79° 51.374′ W. Marker is in Sullivans Island, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker is on Poe Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located at stop nine of the tour of Fort Moultrie. Marker is in this post office area: Sullivans Island SC 29482, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery Jasper (here, next to this marker); Buoyant Mine (a few steps from this marker); 10-Inch Parrott (300 pounder) (a few steps from this marker); Water for the Army (within shouting distance of this marker); Powerhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); 8-inch Parrott (200 Pounder) (within shouting distance of this marker); 7-Inch Brooke Rifle, Triple Banded (within shouting distance of this marker); 10-Inch Columbiad, Rifled and Banded (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Sullivans Island.
 
Categories. Forts, CastlesMilitaryWar, World IWar, World II
 
Markers next to Battery Jasper image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 3, 2010
3. Markers next to Battery Jasper
10-inch Gun Pit image. Click for full size.
By Craig Swain, May 3, 2010
4. 10-inch Gun Pit
The 10-inch Seacoast Gun on a disappearing mount sat inside the concrete revetment. Battery Japser included four such revetments.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 813 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.   2. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.   3, 4. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement