Waterford in Erie County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Near This Site
The plaza before you represents the form of the 1797 blockhouse foundation. Archaeological excavations performed by Mercyhurst Archaeological Institute in the summer of 2000 confirmed the dimensions of the building.
Location. 41° 56.4′ N, 79° 58.977′ W. Marker is in Waterford, Pennsylvania, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from High Street (U.S. 19) north of West 1st Alley, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. This historical marker is located on the south side of the downtown business district, on the west side of the road. It is on the same side of the street, and just west of, the George Washington historical marker that was erected by the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission; and just across the street from the state owned and maintained Fort Le Boeuf history museum,
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Site of Fort Le Boeuf (here, next to this marker); Fort Le Boeuf (here, next to this marker); George Washington (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Le Boeuf (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Le Boeuf Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Strong Vincent (within shouting distance of this marker); Presque Isle Portage (approx. 3.3 miles away); French Creek (approx. 3.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Waterford.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Forts, Castles • Military • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 440 times since then and 56 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.