“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ridgefield in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)

Ridgefield's Colonial Plans

Ridgefield, Connecticut


—The Museum in the Streets —

Ridgefield's Colonial Plans Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, June 2, 2010
1. Ridgefield's Colonial Plans Marker
The caption to the left-hand photo on the marker: Front page of the "Bill of sale" of "a tract of land" sold by the Ramapo Indians to the Proprietors, September 30, 1708 (RLR, vol. 1, p-1)

The caption to the rigt-hand photo on the marker: Thomas Hauley's Mark for his Cattle and Swine . . . Swallow tail or fork Y on ye off. Ear . . . and for his horse kind T.H. on ye near buttock . . .

The bottom photo lists the original Proprietors of Ridgefield
The First Recorded Plan for settlement was in 1697 when a group of Congregationalists primarily from Norwalk petitioned "to purchase of the Indians a certain tract of land lying about 14 miles northward of the town of Norwalk to settle a plantation there." On May 13, 1708 a petition for purchase of the land was submitted to the General Assembly in Hartford. On September 30, 1708 the purchase was formalized and plans for settlement were being drawn up. Each of the original Proprietors received two and a half acres facing the main street, and later an additional five acres were added to the rear of each lot. The meetinghouse and town green were placed in the center of these plots and a cemetery was located at the southern end, (part of the cemetery remains off Creamery Lane.) The outlying land was divided in 1709 into meadows for planting, mowing and grazing.
A liberty pole was erected near the meetinghouse shortly after Ridgefield entered the War for Independence. It is said that the pole was made from an old buttonwood tree that grew near (what is today) Market Street. A whipping post was located nearby. Tradition tells us that Abijah Resseguie; proprietor of the Resseguie Hotel (now the Keeler Tavern Museum) was a witness to the last flogging, which took place sometime in the 19th century. (Marker Number 24.)
Ridgefield's Colonial Plans Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, June 2, 2010
2. Ridgefield's Colonial Plans Marker

Location. 41° 16.525′ N, 73° 29.833′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 35) and Branchville Road (Connecticut Route 102), on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ridgefield Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); The Town Common and Hauley House (within shouting distance of this marker); Rev. Thomas Hawley House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Benedict Arnold's Betrayal and Lieutenant Joshua King (about 500 feet away); Keeler Tavern and the “Big Shop” (approx. 0.2 miles away); Keeler Tavern (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ridgefield Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Confederate Bell (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Ridgefield.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 767 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement