Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Orford in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
 

The Ridge

 
 
The Ridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 18, 2010
1. The Ridge Marker
Inscription. Orford's seven Ridge houses were built over a period of time from 1773 to 1839 by professional and business men of the town. The Bulfinch-style house of John B. Wheeler, built in 1814-1816, southern-most in the row, was designed by a Boston architect, probably Asher Benjamin who was then an associate of Charles Bulfinch. Other Ridge houses also display Asher Benjamin influence.
 
Erected 1965 by New Hampshire Division of Historical Resources. (Marker Number 33.)
 
Location. 43° 54.323′ N, 72° 8.213′ W. Marker is in Orford, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (New Hampshire Route 10) and Bridge Street, on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orford NH 03777, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Samuel Morey (approx. 0.4 miles away in Vermont); Nathaniel Niles (approx. 5.1 miles away in Vermont); Rear Admiral Charles Edgar Clark U.S.N. (approx. 6.1 miles away in Vermont); Bradford (approx. 6.6 miles away in Vermont); Lyme Veterans Monument
Wide view of the The Ridge Marker image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 18, 2010
2. Wide view of the The Ridge Marker
The marker stands on the Mall, alongside Lower Main Street, in front of the Morey and Willard Houses.
(approx. 6.6 miles away); Lyme Civil War Monument (approx. 6.6 miles away); a different marker also named Bradford (approx. 7.7 miles away in Vermont); Haverhill Corner Historic District (approx. 9.6 miles away).
 
Regarding The Ridge. The Orford Street Historic District (which includes the seven houses of the Ridge) was listed on the National Register in 1977.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study the marker shown.
 
Also see . . .  National Register Nomination Information: Orford Street Historic District. (Submitted on June 21, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Wheeler House (1816) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 18, 2010
3. Wheeler House (1816)
Built for local merchant Joseph B. Wheeler. The Bulfinch-style house was designed by Asher Benjamin of Boston. It is likely the only house on The Ridge designed by a professional architect. It remains the residence of Wheeler's descendants today.
Rogers House (1819) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 18, 2010
4. Rogers House (1819)
Built for lawyer John Rogers, work was started in 1817, with additional work in 1819 and 1821.
Morey House (1773) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 18, 2010
5. Morey House (1773)
The first house built on the Ridge, it was originally built for Obadiah Noble, Orford's first minister. It later became the home of Samuel Morey, the noted inventor who held over twenty patents including ones for a paddlewheel-driven steamboat and the internal combustion engine. Many of the inventions were developed in a barn adjacent to the house. The house was expanded in 1799 and again in 1804.
Willard House (1839) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 18, 2010
6. Willard House (1839)
Built for local merchant Stedman Willard. The house incorporates some of the features of his father-in-law, Joseph B. Wheeler's house -- several houses southward on the Ridge.
Hinckley House (1824) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 18, 2010
7. Hinckley House (1824)
Built for local merchant Dyar T. Hinckley. The interior is influenced by the work of architect Asher Benjamin, who designed the Wheeler House.
Howard House (1829) image. Click for full size.
By Paul Crumlish, June 18, 2010
8. Howard House (1829)
This Federal-style house was built for beaver hat manufacturer William Howard. It renovated and expanded in 1915.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,077 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement