Govan in Bamberg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Salem Methodist Church
This church, founded by 1818, held its early services in a brush arbor; the first permanent sanctuary was built nearby. In 1848 Capt. J.D. Allen sold this 4-acre site to the trustees for $1.00. The present church, built soon afterwards, has been renovated several times since. The cemetery dates from 1856; its first burials were young children of Henry and Mary Ann Hartzog.
Four members later became ministers: Revs. Charles Wilson (1802-1873), Jeremiah W. Collins (1824-1880), Holland Nimmons McTyeire (1824-1889), and B.T. Huggins (1922-2008). McTyeire, born on a farm nearby, was a Methodist bishop from 1866 until his death but is best known as the father of Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, which he founded in 1873.
Erected 2009 by The Historical Society of Bamberg County and the Frank J. and Lucy C. Hartzog Memorial Foundation, Inc. (Marker Number 5-13.)
Location. 33° 15.465′ N, 81° 12.758′ W. Marker is in Govan, South Carolina, in Bamberg County. Marker is at the intersection of Salem Church Road and Juniper Creek Road (South Carolina Route 5-366), on the right when traveling west on Salem Church Road. Click for map. Located 100
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hilda (approx. 2.2 miles away); Mountain Home Plantation (approx. 2.7 miles away); Olar S.C. (approx. 5.5 miles away); Voorhees College (approx. 5.9 miles away); AT&T Building (approx. 6 miles away); Denmark Depot (approx. 6.2 miles away); Solomon Blatt Highway (approx. 7.1 miles away); Pinewood Plantation (approx. 7.1 miles away).
Regarding Salem Methodist Church. Bamberg County Churches - Page Nine
Histories of Active Churches - Govan and Olar:
Salem United Methodist Church-1818
Surrounded by century-old oaks stands a bulwark of Methodism in Bamberg County, Salem United Methodist Church. Shepherded by itinerant preachers and circuit riders as early as the first quarter of the 1800s, generations of worshippers have met for more than a century and a half to evoke the blessings of Almighty God. As early as 1818 a congregation met under a brush arbor to hear the gospel proclaimed. Just how long this type of worship continued is unknown, since the record is not available, but the Centennial edition of the Southern Christian Advocate, June 24, 1937, stated
The deed and plat for the land upon which the second structure was built was recorded on January 3, 1848, in Book CC, Pages 154, 155, and 156. This document states that it was delivered to Daniel Hartzog on January 17, 1848. It was signed by “James M. Hutto, Depy. Survey [sic]” and verified by the statement: “Given under my hand this 24th day of December 1848.”
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 955 times since then and 75 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.