Okauchee in Waukesha County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
It was during the early part of the twentieth century that Okauchee became a resort destination for Milwaukeeans. Tourists came by train and were then escorted by boat to the many small resort hotels and cottages that sprang up around Okauchee Lake. By 1927, Okauchee boasted eleven hotels among its complement of tourist-oriented businesses.
While most of the small cottages have been converted to year-round residences, Okauchee Lake continues to be a destination point for outdoor recreational activities.
Erected 2002 by Wisconsin Historical Society. (Marker Number 483.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society marker series.
Location. 43° Click for map. Marker is located on west side of roundabout at intersection of Wisconsin Ave. and Lake Dr. Marker is in this post office area: Okauchee WI 53069, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Nashotah Mission (approx. 2.2 miles away); Stone Bank (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Inn at Pine Terrace (approx. 2.8 miles away); Oconomowoc Masonic Center (approx. 3 miles away); Oconomowoc (approx. 3 miles away); Bishop Jackson Kemper Home Built 1849 (approx. 3 miles away); St. John's Military Academy (approx. 3.7 miles away); Northwestern Military and Naval Academy (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Categories. • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 767 times since then and 93 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.