Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Castle in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

New Castle Common

 
 
New Castle Common Marker image. Click for full size.
By R. C., December 12, 2009
1. New Castle Common Marker
Inscription. This land is part of a tract of one thousand acres set apart by William Penn in 1701 for the inhabitants of the town of New Castle. Trustees were appointed and incorporated by Pennís heirs in 1764, whose successors still hold and manage the land.
 
Erected 1968 by Public Archives Commission. (Marker Number NC-13.)
 
Location. 39° 39.585′ N, 75° 33.779′ W. Marker is in New Castle, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on East Second Street 0.1 miles north of Delaware Street, in the median. Click for map. Located next to the statue of William Penn. Marker is in this post office area: New Castle DE 19720, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Presbyterian Church (a few steps from this marker); The Welcome Society of Pennsylvania (a few steps from this marker); New Castle Court House 1732 (within shouting distance of this marker); Frenchtown Railroad Sleepers (within shouting distance of this marker); The Green or Market Plaine (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Read House & Gardens (about 400 feet away); Home of George Read (about 400 feet away); George Read (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in New Castle.
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
Statue of William Penn and the New Castle Common Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, October 8, 2006
2. Statue of William Penn and the New Castle Common Marker
William Penn (1644–1718) image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, October 8, 2006
3. William Penn (1644–1718)
1984 bronze by Charles C. Parks (1922– ) is approx. 8 feet high. The circular base on the marker includes the wording, “The citizens of New Castle Del. presented to William Penn, 1644–1718, the key to the fort, one turf with a twig upon it, a porringer with river water and sovle.”
The gifts symbolized his proprietorship of Pennsylvania which at that time included the three lower counties that became the state of Delaware.
William Penn Statue (detail) image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
4. William Penn Statue (detail)
The key to the fort, one turf with a twig upon it, a porringer with river water and sovle.
William Penn Statue (detail - additional plaque) image. Click for full size.
By R. C.
5. William Penn Statue (detail - additional plaque)
This plaque reads:
The Welcome Society of Pennsylvania honors the city of New Castle Delaware where William Penn first landed in the New World, 27 October 1682.
Erected by the Welcome Society of Pennsylvania
27 April 2002
New Castle Common Marker image. Click for full size.
By Roger Dean Meyer, October 8, 2006
6. New Castle Common Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 2,076 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   2, 3. submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   4, 5. submitted on , by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey.   6. submitted on , by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement