Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Nueces County Courthouse of 1914
Under the administration of county Judge Walter F. Timon (1872-1952), this neoclassical structure was completed in 1914 at a cost of $250,000. The architect, Harvey L. Page (1859-1934) OF Washington D.C., designed the International and Great Northern Railroad station in San Antonio and Laguna Gloria in Austin, home of former Corpus Christi resident Clara Driscoll.
Additions were made to the buildings in the 1930's and 1960's. Courtrooms and offices were on the first four floors. The top two floors, separated from the rest of the building by an air space to eliminate noise, served as the jail. In addition to government offices, apartments were provided until the 1950's for the jailer and other county officials. During storms which almost leveled the city, hundreds of refugees sought shelter here. In 1977 county offices moved to a new courthouse building.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.
Entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
Location. 27° 48.109′ N, 97° 23.729′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is on North Mesquite Street south of Belden Street, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thomas S. Parker (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Bayview Cemetery (approx. ¼ mile away); Explosion of the Steamship Dayton (approx. ¼ mile away); McCampbell House (approx. ¼ mile away); Irishtown (approx. ¼ mile away); Jalufka-Galatos House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Grande-Grossman House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Merriman House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Corpus Christi.
More about this marker. The courthouse is unoccupied and fenced off.
Categories. • Government • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 762 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.