Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Trampas in Taos County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Las Trampas

 
 
Las Trampas Marker image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, circa Aug 1982
1. Las Trampas Marker
Inscription. The village of Las Trampas was established in 1751 by 12 families from Santa Fe, led by Juan de Argüello, who received a land grant from Governor Tomás Vélez Cachupín. The church of San José de Gracia is one of the finest surviving 18th-century churches in New Mexico.

(reverse) La población de Las Trampas fue establecida en el año 1751 con doce familias de la Villa de Santa Fe, conducidas por Juan de Argüello. Los pobladores recivieron una merced para este lugar del Gobernador Tomás Vélez Cachupín. La iglesia de San José de Gracia, que fue construida en el siglo diez y ocho, es unas de las mas finas que se hallan en Nuevo México.
 
Location. 36° 7.865′ N, 105° 45.505′ W. Marker is in Trampas, New Mexico, in Taos County. Marker is on State Road 76, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Trampas NM 87576, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pueblo of Picuris (approx. 4.9 miles away); Maria Ramita Simbola Martinez "Summer Harvest" (1884-1969) (approx. 5 miles away); Truchas Peaks (approx. 6.3 miles away); Truchas (approx.
Las Trampas Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 22, 2013
2. Las Trampas Marker
7.4 miles away); Pilar (approx. 9.6 miles away); Cordova (approx. 11.6 miles away but has been reported missing); Captive Women and Children of Taos County / María Rosa Villapando, (ca. 1725-1830) (approx. 12.3 miles away); William J. Klauer (approx. 12.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Wikipedia Entry. This entry contains photographs of the interior. “The San Jose de Gracia Church, also known as Church of Santo Tomas Del Rio de Las Trampas, is a church built between 1760 and 1776 in Las Trampas, New Mexico. Originally named Santo Tomas del Rio de las Trampas, the church is of adobe construction with a mud-plaster exterior, which is renewed periodically by parishioners. The church was reroofed and repaired in 1932 by the Society for the Preservation of New Mexico Mission Churches, led by renowned architect John Gaw Meem.

“The church ceiling is painted with 18th and 19th century designs, and the interior is decorated with notable artworks of 18th and 19th century santeros. The annual feast day is March 19. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1970.” (Submitted on April 23, 2013.) 
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Hispanic AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Reverse Side of Marker and Plaza in Front of Church image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 22, 2013
3. Reverse Side of Marker and Plaza in Front of Church
San José de Gracia de Las Trampas mission church image. Click for full size.
By Richard Denney, circa 1982
4. San José de Gracia de Las Trampas mission church
San José de Gracia de Las Trampas Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, April 22, 2013
5. San José de Gracia de Las Trampas Church and Marker
Main Altar, San José de Gracias, Las Trampas, New Mexico image. Click for full size.
Courtesy U.S. Farm Security Administration, 1943
6. Main Altar, San José de Gracias, Las Trampas, New Mexico
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 970 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   2, 3. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.   4. submitted on , by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   5, 6. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement