Northwest in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
General Federation of Women’s Clubs
The General Federation of Women’s Clubs is an international women’s organization dedicated to community improvement by enhancing the lives of other through volunteer service. Founded in 1890, it is one of the world’s largest and oldest nonpartisan, nondenominational women’s volunteer service organizations. Under the motto, “Unity in Diversity,” GFWC’s local member clubs in the USA and around the world have built an outstanding record of philanthropy, social and political advocacy, and community leadership.
GFWC was chartered by the 56th U.S. Congress in 1901. Since 1922, 1734 N Street, NW, has served as GFWC’s Headquarters, housing office space and formal reception areas. In 1984, the GFWC Women’s History and Resource Center was established to collect, preserve, interpret, and promote the history of GFWC and women volunteers.
In 1991, GFWC Headquarters was designated a National Historic Landmark, in recognition of its “national significance in commemorating the history of the history of the United States of America.”
Erected by the General Federation of Women’s Clubs.
Marker series. This marker is included in the National Historic Landmarks marker series.
Location. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1734 N Street, NW, Washington DC 20036, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Admiral Miguel Grau (about 400 feet away); The National Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Nuns of the Battlefield (about 500 feet away); John Witherspoon (about 500 feet away); Charles Sumner School Museum and Archives (about 600 feet away); Daniel Webster Memorial (about 700 feet away); Theodore Roosevelt (about 700 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Northwest.
Categories. • Charity & Public Work • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Landmarks •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 675 times since then and 95 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on July 20, 2016.