New Westminster in Greater Vancouver Regional District, British Columbia — The Canadian Pacific
1905 - 1958
Industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie funded the construction of over 2,500 libraries around the world. The New Westminster Library was one of these and stood as a landmark in the community for 53 years. The need for more space to meet the requirements of the citizens of New Westminster led to the building of a larger facility on the current site, uptown at 718 - 6th Avenue. The Carnegie Library closed when the new building opened on November 19, 1958. It was later demolished.
This plaque was made possible by the City of New Westminster and the New Westminster Public Library Board.
Erected 2000 by City of New Westminster and the New Westminster Public Library Board.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Carnegie Libraries marker series.
Location. 49° 12.217′ N, 122° 54.603′ W. Marker is in New Westminster, British Columbia, in Greater Vancouver Regional District. Marker is at the intersection Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Westminster, British Columbia V3M 5Z5, Canada.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 18 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The New Westminster Court House and Land Registry Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Great Fire (approx. 0.3 kilometers away); Sadie Marks (approx. 15.8 kilometers away); Historic Port Elgin (approx. 16.2 kilometers away); Historic Stewart Farmhouse (approx. 16.2 kilometers away); The Semiahmoo Trail (approx. 16.2 kilometers away); Farming History (approx. 16.2 kilometers away); a different marker also named Carnegie Library (approx. 16.3 kilometers away). Click for a list of all markers in New Westminster.
Regarding Carnegie Library.
• Of the approximately 2,500 public libraries funded by Andrew Carnegie, 125 were built in Canada. Most of these, 111, were built in Ontario, but 3 were built in British Columbia: Victoria, Vancouver, and New Westminster.
• In 1902 the City of New Westminster received a $15,000 (US) grant to build the library.
• The Library stood on "Library Square" the block bounded by McKenzie, Carnarvon, Lorne and Agnes. Prior to the 1898 fire which devastated New Westminster, the city hall had stood on this site.
Also see . . . New Westminster Public Library: 1902-1958. The New Westminster Public Library's page devoted to the Carnegie Library. Part of a multi-page history of the institution. (Submitted on June 21, 2010.)
Categories. • Education • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 1,166 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.