“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Corpus Christi in Nueces County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)


Irishtown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 12, 2010
1. Irishtown Marker
Inscription. Bounded by Twigg and Tiger Streets, Hall's Bayou and Corpus Christi Bay, the section of the city's Ward One known as Irishtown included primarily Irish residents, although there were also Anglo Americans, Mexican Americans, African Americans, Greeks and others. By the 1830s, Irish settlers migrated to San Patricio in response to advertising in the northeastern U.S. by empresarios McMullen and McGloin. Others came with the establishment of Henry L. Kinney's trading post or after serving under Gen. Zachary Taylor during the U.S.-Mexican War (1846-48). Many early settlers were carpenters, laborers, farmers, cattlemen, merchants, or blacksmiths.

In 1853, a Methodist church began in Irishtown; its building provided space for school as well as worship services. Builders constructed the Nueces County Courthouse that year, followed by the second, built in 1875 and known as the Hollub Courthouse, and third, built in 1914. By the late 1880s, the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railway reached the city, with a depot on Tiger Street. By 1900, Irishtown had a volunteer firefighting unit, Shamrock Hose Co. No. 4. The community also had a baseball team which played on a field at the intersection of Chaparral and Fitzgerald Streets. Nearby was Artesian Park, where bands featuring neighborhood musicians held concerts and festivals, and politicians
Irishtown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 12, 2010
2. Irishtown Marker
campaigned for office.

Although Irishtown declined after the replacement of the Bascule Bridge with Harbor Bridge in 1959 and the loss of county offices in 1977, the Bayfront Science Park would become home to museums, convention and event facilities, and Heritage Park, which includes several residences of old Irishtown. Today, the historic neighborhood continues to be an area rich in culture and heritage.
Erected 2007 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 14040.)
Location. 27° 48.338′ N, 97° 23.693′ W. Marker is in Corpus Christi, Texas, in Nueces County. Marker is at the intersection of Chaparrel Street and Fitzgerald Street, on the right when traveling north on Chaparrel Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Corpus Christi TX 78401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. McCampbell House (a few steps from this marker); Jalufka-Galatos House (within shouting distance of this marker); Merriman House (within shouting distance of this marker); Kovner-Bobys Homestead (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grande-Grossman House (about 300 feet away); French-Galvan House (about 400 feet away); Sidbury House (about 500 feet away); Julius Lichtenstein House (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Corpus Christi.
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 611 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement