Near Washington in Wilkes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
This burying ground was laid out in 1788 when Sir John Talbot gave two acres of his vast estate for use as a Presbyterian Church and churchyard. Sir John was descended from the Earl of Shrewsbury. His own son, Matthew Talbot, served as a Superior Court judge, President of the Georgia Senate in 1811, 1817-22, and as Governor of Georgia from Oct. 24 to Nov. 5, 1819. Both are buried here.
W. H. T. Walker, Confederate General killed in the Battle of Atlanta, was a descendant of Sir John Talbot.
The Presbyterians moved to a new building in Washington in 1825.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 157-7.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 42.895′ N, 82° 39.271′ W. Marker is near Washington, Georgia, in Wilkes County. Marker is at the intersection of South Smyrna Church Road and Lincolnton Road (U.S. 378) on South Smyrna Church Road. Click for map. From US 78 and US 378 east of Washington, Georgia, follow US 378 (Lincolnton Road) 3.5 miles to Smyrna United Methodist Church on the right. Marker stands on east side of South Smyrna Church Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Smyrna Church Road, Washington GA 30673, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Smyrna Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Smyrna Methodist Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Grant's Meeting House (approx. 2.9 miles away); Wynne-Randall (approx. 4.5 miles away); Washington-Wilkes Historical Museum (approx. 4.7 miles away); Historic Dugas Home (approx. 4.7 miles away); K.A. Wilheit House (approx. 4.7 miles away); Sims-Beggs House (approx. 4.8 miles away); Wisteria Hall (approx. 4.8 miles away); First Presbyterian Ordination in Georgia (approx. 4.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Washington.
More about this marker. Separate marker for the Smyrna Church is located on west side of South Smyrna Church Road.
Regarding Smyrna Churchyard. The Smyrna Churchyard and Smyrna Church (for which there is a separate historical marker) are located in rural Wilkes County and have been home to a Methodist congregation since around 1820. Prior to that, a Presbyterian congregation met here and began use of the churchyard behind the church as a cemetery.
After more than two centuries, the cemetery remains in use and most of it is well maintained. There are some older graves which are collapsed or otherwise deteriorated. The churchyard is
Also see . . . Smyrna Churchyard - Find-a-grave. (Submitted on November 14, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Additional keywords. Cemetery
Categories. • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches, Etc. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 705 times since then and 12 times this year. Last updated on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 2, 3. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 4. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 5. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26. submitted on , by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.