Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lutz in Hillsborough County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old Lutz Elementary School

Erected 1927

 
 
Old Lutz Elementary School NRHP Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 24, 2010
1. Old Lutz Elementary School NRHP Plaque
Inscription.
Has been placed on the
National Register
of Historic Places

by the United States
Department of the Interior
August 15, 1996

 
Erected 1996.
 
Location. 28° 8.867′ N, 82° 27.702′ W. Marker is in Lutz, Florida, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 41 and 4th Avenue SE, on the right when traveling north on U.S. 41. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the front of the building, to the right of the main entrance. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18819 U.S. Highway 41 North., Lutz FL 33549, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Concord Stagecoach Road (approx. 5.5 miles away); Bruce B. Downs Boulevard (approx. 6.8 miles away); Dupree Gardens (approx. 7 miles away); Odessa (approx. 7.5 miles away); Ehren Community (approx. 8 miles away); Capt. Nathaniel Wyche Hunter (approx. 8 miles away); The Largest Orange Grove in the World (approx. 8.4 miles away); Ehren African American Community / Mount Carmel Church And Cemetery (approx. 8.7 miles away).
 
Regarding Old Lutz Elementary School. The brick schoolhouse was designed by architect Frank A. Winn,
NRHP and Lutz School Plaques image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 24, 2010
2. NRHP and Lutz School Plaques
Lower plaque reads:
Lutz School
Erected 1927
County Board of Public Instruction
W.D.F. Snipes, Superintendent
J.G. Anderson, Jr. Chairman
Irwin Walden
E.P. Blanton

Trustees-District No. 30
Maude Brant, Chairman
Ira Goheen
Grace Bertzel Warfield

Frank A. Winn, Jr. Architect
Peter Clausen, Contractor
Jr. in the Colonial Revival style. The 1927 brick building was preceded by an wooden building erected in 1911. The land for the school was donated by the North Tampa Land Company.

The Old Schoolhouse continued in use until 1976, and is the oldest public building in the community of Lutz. The Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners had the building restored in 1998. The current Lutz Elementary School is behind the Old Schoolhouse.

The Old Lutz Schoolhouse is a Hillsborough County Historic Landmark.
 
Additional keywords. North Tampa Land Company, Colonial Revival, Frank Winn Jr.
 
Categories. 20th CenturyEducation
 
Old Lutz Elementary School image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 24, 2010
3. Old Lutz Elementary School
Plaques are mounted to the right of the double-doors.
Old Lutz Elementary School image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 24, 2010
4. Old Lutz Elementary School
North face of the building
Old Lutz Elementary School image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 24, 2010
5. Old Lutz Elementary School
South and rear (east) facades, left to right. The covered walkway in the rear led to a detached structure housing the school's restrooms.
Old Lutz Schoolhouse Hillsborough County Historic Landmark Plaque image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, June 24, 2010
6. Old Lutz Schoolhouse Hillsborough County Historic Landmark Plaque
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 1,019 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement