Inscription. Welcome to Ridgefield's History Trail!
Ridgefield, Connecticut – 1708
The Fundamental Orders adopted by Connecticut in 1639 directed would-be settlers, able to support a minister, to establish a settlement, build a Congregational Church and farm the land. This is exactly what was done in Ridgefield. On September 30, 1708 a group of inhabitants from Norwalk and Milford, Connecticut purchased a parcel of land called Caudatowa, or "high land", from the resident Ramapo tribe for one hundred pounds. This parcel and additional acreage purchased from the tribe became the town the original "proprietors" named Ridgefield. The original 24 proprietors received 7 ½-acre home lots, with a 25th reserved for the minister, located up and down Main Street from a Common where a Meeting House was built. Small, close knit and agrarian Ridgefield lived under the watchful eye of Congregational minister Thomas Hauley, who also served as schoolmaster and town clerk.
By Michael Herrick, October 17, 2009
|1. The Museum in the Streets Marker|
During the American Revolution Ridgefield was the site of the Connecticut's largest land engagement with the British Army. On April 27, 1777 American patriots under General Benedict Arnold engaged the British forces on their retreat back to Long Island Sound after having sacked Danbury and burned the Continental Army's supplies which had been stored
By Michael Herrick, June 2, 2010
|2. The Museum in the Streets Marker|
In the early the 1800's commerce grew in town with the building of various mills and the establishment of hatters, tailors, carpenters, weavers, silversmiths and shoemakers. The 19th century also saw the birth of industry with the Resseguie and Olmstead carriage "manufactory" called the Big Shop, which was located on Main Street at the site of the current Congregational Church building. Other 19th century manufacturers made candlesticks, furniture and shirts. As they flourished, owners began to enlarge their homes or build new ones and the face of Main Street began to change. Main Street was improved and the land of the town common was divided up among abutting property owners.
After the Civil War a number of prominent new Yorkers eager to summer away from the city began building mansion-sized summer residences on South Main Street and on East and High Ridge. By the end of the century the town also boasted a number of very large estates whose owners and servants arrived at the town's depot on trains coming into the village from the Branchville-Danbury. From there, chauffeurs took them to their country homes. At this time a significant number of Italian immigrants immigrated to Ridgefield to work on these estates. Most of these families remained in Ridgefield throughout the 20th century and made a significant impact on the community both culturally and economically.
Today the railroad line, the town common and the original Congregational Church are gone. The Big Shop remains, as do many of the large homes that have graced Main Street since the late 1800's. In 1966 much of the area originally settled in 1708 was designated a state and local Historic District and in 1984 a National Historic District.
Location. 41° 16.898′ N, 73° 29.894′ W. Marker is in Ridgefield, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Bailey Avenue and Main Street (Connecticut Route 35), on the left when traveling east on Bailey Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ridgefield CT 06877, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bailey Avenue: A Short-Cut to the Train Station (here, next to this marker); The Great Fire of 1895 (within shouting distance of this marker); A Much-Loved Old Church and a Watering Trough for Horses (within shouting distance of this marker); More of the Great Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); The Village Center in the Early 1900s (about 300 feet away, in a direct line); The Livery Stable and the First Catholic Church (about 300 feet away); The Village in the 1900s (about 300 feet away); Bissell's – Destroyed by Two Conflagrations (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Ridgefield.
More about this marker. The marker has a map of the town showing the location of the 30 markers. Photographs from each marker, with its number and title surround the map.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Take the Museum in the Streets Walking Tour in Ridgefield, Connecticut.
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 24, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 431 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 24, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |