Near Skidmore in Bee County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
By 1857 the town of Papalote had emerged. It was the center of entertainment for the county, boasting of a circular dance hall built by cowboys trading steer yearlings at $3 a head for lumber. There were rooster fights, ring tournaments and horse races. In 1886, when the railroad came, the town was booming.
After the turn of the century, however, Papalote began to die away. A land company sold lots to settlers from as far away as Hawaii. Expecting to grow citrus fruits, they were disillusioned when the first killing frost doomed the project. Threats of Pancho Villa's raids continued as late as 1916, when women and children hid in a brick schoolhouse.
In 1948, Main Street was bypassed by U.S. Highway 181. Today there is no post office--only a rural route for the few remaining households.
Erected 1965 by Texas Historical Survey Commission. (Marker Number 3934.)
Location. Click for map. 20 miles southeast of Beeville. Marker is in this post office area: Skidmore TX 78389, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 18 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Aransas Creek Settlers (approx. 8.2 miles away); Odem Building (approx. 10.2 miles away); Taft Agricultural Industrial Complex (approx. 17.4 miles away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 948 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.