Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Town of Manatee
The Town of Manatee was officially chartered on June 19, 1903. This intersection of Central Street (present day 9th Street East) and Manatee Avenue became the heart of the town’s business district after the arrival of the Florida West Shore Railway on December 12, 1902. A small railroad depot was constructed at the southwest corner. On October 1, 1903, the Central Hotel opened on the southeast corner with the Manatee Drug company occupying its first floor. The shop became known as Pelot’s Pharmacy after its owners, John J. Pelot and his son, J. Crews Pelot. The two-story concrete block building on the northeast corner was built in 1912 and housed many businesses over the years including Currey’s Drug Store, a grocery store and the Manatee Paper Company. The wooden two-story building just to its east held the E.P. Lloyd Cigar Factory, and later, in the mid 1930’s, Paul’s Bake Shop, owned by Paul and Willie Mae Turbeville.
(Continued on other side)
(Continued from other side)
The large brick building on the northwest corner was officially dedicated on July 4, 1910. Called the Davis Building after its developer, Captain Christopher H. Davis, it held a variety of businesses and meeting areas including the Manatee County Supply Company, Davis Hall, which was used for operas and plays, a Masonic
Erected 2002 by Manatee County Historical Commission in cooperation with the Manatee County Board of County Commissioners.
Location. 27° 29.717′ N, 82° 33.29′ W. Marker is in Bradenton, Florida, in Manatee County. Marker is at the intersection of Manatee Avenue East and 9th Street East, on the right when traveling west on Manatee Avenue East. Click for map. Marker is located on the northwest corner of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Bradenton FL 34208, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Manatee Mineral Spring (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Florida Cracker Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Wiggins Store (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Stephens House (approx. 0.4 miles away); William Bassett Chapter (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Fogarty Boat Works (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Bunker Hill School (approx. 0.4 miles away); The 1887 Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bradenton.
Categories. • Notable Buildings • Notable Places • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 775 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.