Inscription. This simple Italianate sandstone house, constructed in a masonry pattern peculiar to southern Wisconsin, was built for undersheriff, jailor, and horse dealer Andrew Bishop. It was later owned by W. B. Jarvis, lawyer and land speculator. In the period 1863 to 1867, local grocer Robert Nichols lived in the house. In 1868, Joseph Stoner, a picture salesman, bought the residence and lived here for more than a decade.
By William J. Toman, June 13, 2010
|1. Joseph Stoner House Marker|
Erected 1972 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 18.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 4.208′ N, 89° 23.045′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of South Hamilton Street and West Wilson Street, on the left when traveling south on South Hamilton Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 321 South Hamilton Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nathan Dane (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Law Park (about 300 feet away); Doty School (about 500 feet away); La Follette House (about 700 feet away); Baskerville Apartments (about 800 feet away); Mohr / Christoffer Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jackman Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Smith and Lamb Block (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
By William J. Toman, June 13, 2010
|2. Joseph Stoner House|
|The marker is to the left of the near corner of the house.|
Regarding Joseph Stoner House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This Italianate house, built of our local sandstone, was constructed in 1858 for Henry and Janet Staines. The Staines family were Scottish immigrants who first settled in Sauk County and later moved back there. In 1863 the house was briefly owned by a butcher Robert and Christina Nichols. In 1865 the house was sold to Joseph J. and Harriet Stoner, who lived there for two decades. Joseph Stoner had an interesting occupation - he published birds'-eye views of cities all over the country, views which now are significant records of the history of our nation in the 19th century. In 1884 the Stoners retired and lived on a farm outside of Madison, moving to California in 1902. Joseph Stoner died in 1917. The next owners were plumber Thomas and Susan Regan.
"From 1922 to 1957, Varley and Ellen Bond owned the house and undertook significant renovations, but afterward it was used as offices until it fell into such disrepair that it stood vacant and deteriorating for over a decade. In 1983 the Wisconsin Architects Foundation received the building and moved it to the corner of the block to make way for a condominium project. The Foundation undertook a major restoration of the building and have had their offices there since."
Also see . . .
1. History of the Stoner House. (Submitted on June 24, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
2. The Joseph J. Stoner House Booklet. The history of the Joseph J. Stoner House, in Madison, Wisconsin. The building is owned by the Wisconsin Architects Foundation and home to AIA WIsconsin. (Submitted on January 21, 2011, by Brenda Taylor of Madison, Wisconsin.)
3. The Stoner House: A Piece of History. (Submitted on January 21, 2011, by Brenda Taylor of Madison, Wisconsin.)
4. Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on March 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Credits. This page originally submitted on June 16, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 840 times since then. Last updated on June 30, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 16, 2010, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.
|Recommend or Share This Page. |