Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Nathaniel Dean Farmhouse
Erected 1974 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 26.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 4.103′ N, 89° 19.542′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on Monona Drive 0.1 miles south of Dean Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4718 Monona Drive, Madison WI 53716, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Dean House / Nathaniel Dean (a few steps from this marker); Monona’s Birthplace / Monona's History (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ernie's Trading Post (approx. 0.4 miles away); Springhaven Pagoda George Kalbfleisch, Jr. Farm House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Boutell House (approx. 0.6 miles away); Otto Schroeder House (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bungalowen (approx. one mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Nathaniel Dean Farmhouse. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "Nathaniel W. Dean was one of Madison's early pioneers. He was born in Massachusetts and came to Madison in 1842. He and his brother ran a general store that for several years was the leading commercial business in the village. In 1847 he married Harriet Morrison, daughter of one of Madison's earliest settlers. In 1857 Dean retired from the mercantile trade to devote his time to managing his land interests in the Town of Blooming Grove, which were extensive. This cream brick Italianate farmhouse was one of several that he owned, and because of its generous proportions was probably the one that his family lived in when they were not in Madison. He continued to expand his land interests into various other parts of Wisconsin and beyond, including a fine farm in Kansas. The Deans' downtown house was where the Park Hotel is now, and indeed, Dean built the original Park Hotel and moved the house off the site to make room for it. He died in 1880.
"In 1926 the old farm became a private golf course and the Dean farmhouse was remodeled as the clubhouse. The City of Madison purchased the golf course in 1935 and continued using the farmhouse as the clubhouse until the 1970s. It has been restored by the Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society and is now the only historic house museum in the City of Madison."
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on March 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Additional keywords. Historic Blooming Grove Historical Society
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 656 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on , by Gordon Govier of Monona, Wisconsin. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.