Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Kendall House

1855

 
 
Kendall House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 28, 2010
1. Kendall House Marker
Inscription. Pioneer banker J. E. Kendall built this two-and-one half story Italianate home in 1855. The mansard roof of the Second French Empire style was added between 1872 and 1879. This house stands as one of the four corner houses on Big Bug Hill, also called Aristocrat Hill, Yankee Hill, and Mansion Hill. It is one of many houses erected during the building mania of the middle years of the 1850's.
 
Erected 1972 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 10.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.752′ N, 89° 23.251′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Gilman Street and North Pinckney Street, on the left when traveling east on East Gilman Street. Click for map. The marker is on the ground by the sidewalk in front of the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 East Gilman Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bashford House (within shouting distance of this marker); Keenan House (within shouting distance of this marker); Pierce House
Kendall House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 29, 2010
2. Kendall House
(within shouting distance of this marker); Keyes House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Governor's Mansion (about 300 feet away); Period Garden Park (about 300 feet away); Mansion Hill Historic District (about 300 feet away); Timothy Brown House (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Kendall House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "John E. Kendall from New York built this sandstone home in 1855, the first of the four houses at the corner of Pinckney and Gilman; but he sold it soon after construction and it is not clear which of several early owners may have actually lived in the house. In the late 1860s, at the height of Madison's resort era, this mansion was used as a summer home by the St. Louis family of D. R. Garrison, president of the Southern Pacific Railroad. The house was originally styled by August Kutzbock in the Italianate mode, with a low, hipped roof and a cupola. However, in 1873 a Mansard roof was added to adapt it to the more modern French Second Empire style.

"Early in the 20th century, the house was graced
Kendall House image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, June 29, 2010
3. Kendall House
The marker is on the ground by the sidewalk in front of the house.
by a frame porch across the entire front of the first floor. Ironwork with spiked finials danced along the roof line. Although not as elegant appearing as when constructed, the Kendall House remains a focal point on Mansion Hill."
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on March 19, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 949 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement