Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Memphis in Shelby County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

St. Peter Catholic Church

 
 
St. Peter Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, May 18, 2010
1. St. Peter Catholic Church Marker
Inscription. St. Peter's was founded in 1840, the first Roman Catholic parish in West Tennessee and given to the Dominican Order in 1846. The present church was built 1852~1855 around a smaller church which was then dismantled and carried out the doors. Within 30 years St. Peter's had initiated the founding of three downtown parishes, St. Agnes Academy, St. Peter Orphanage and Christian Brothers Univ. During three Yellow Fever plagues of the 1870's, 8 priests & 11 sisters of the parish died while succoring the spiritual & temporal needs of the city. Early pastors T.L Grace, and J.S. Alemany later became archbishops. A revived St. Peter's was totally restored and added its Fr. Leo Arnoult Parish Center, 1985~91.
 
Erected by Descendants of Shelby Early Settlers.
 
Location. 35° 8.851′ N, 90° 2.935′ W. Marker is in Memphis, Tennessee, in Shelby County. Marker is at the intersection of Adams Avenue and North Third Street, on the right when traveling west on Adams Avenue. Click for map. Adams Avenue at Third Street. Marker is at or near this postal address: 190 Adams Avenue, Memphis TN 38103, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Forrest's Early Home (within shouting distance of this marker); 1862 Post Office
St. Peter Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, May 18, 2010
2. St. Peter Catholic Church Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Statuary at the Shelby County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Eugene Magevney (within shouting distance of this marker); Shelby County Courthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Calvary Protestant Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); Former Criminal Courts Building (about 500 feet away); The First Lee House (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Memphis.
 
Also see . . .  St Peter Catholic Church. St. Peter Catholic Church, located on the corner of Third Street and Adams in downtown Memphis, Tennessee, traces its origins to the fall of 1840 when Bishop Richard Miles, O.P., the first Bishop of Nashville, appointed Father Michael McAleer as the first pastor of St. Peter. Just one year after the first Catholic mass was celebrated in the parlor of the adjacent Magevny House, the parish opened its doors. (Submitted on July 1, 2010, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa.) 
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.
 
St. Peter Catholic Church image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, May 18, 2010
3. St. Peter Catholic Church
St. Peter Catholic Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Sandra Hughes, May 18, 2010
4. St. Peter Catholic Church Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 908 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement