“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Midville in Burke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Sherman at Midville

Sherman at Midville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert Hill Powers, June 20, 2010
1. Sherman at Midville Marker
Inscription. On Nov. 15, 1864, after destroying Atlanta and cutting his communications with the North, Maj. Gen. W.T. Sherman, USA, began his destructive Campaign for Savannah - the March to the Sea. He divided his army [US] into two wings. The Left Wing (14th and 20th Corps), Maj. Gen. H.W. Slocum, USA, moved east from Atlanta in two columns which converged on Milledgeville, crossed the Ogeechee River near Louisville, then marched toward Savannah by two routes: the 14th Corps (Davis) on the old road near the Savannah River (Ga 24), the 20th Corps (Williams) via Springfield. Both corps approached Savannah via Monteith. Gen. Sherman accompanied the Left Wing as far as Sandersville.

The Right Wing (15th and 17th Corps), Maj. Gen. O.O. Howard, USA, marched south via Jackson and Gordon and crossed the Oconee River at Ball's Ferry. The 15th Corps (Osterhaus) marched on roads west of the Ogeechee River. The 17th Corps, Maj. Gen. F.P. Blair, USA, which has been joined by Gen. Sherman and his staff at Tennille, moved on roads south of the railroad and Williamson Swamp Creek until opposite Burton (Midville), Station 9 1/2, CRR. On the 30th, the 17th Corps crossed the Ogeechee River and Gen. Sherman's headquarters were established here in Burton. That night, the depot and other railway facilities were completely destroyed.

Next morning, the 17th
Sherman at Midville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert Hill Powers, June 20, 2010
2. Sherman at Midville Marker
Corps moved east on the present Ga 17, which it followed to Savannah. That night, it camped at Herndon Station 9, CRR, after stripping the country of provisions.
Erected 2010 by Georgia Historical Society. (Marker Number 017-11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission, and the Shermans March to the Sea marker series.
Location. 32° 49.157′ N, 82° 14.082′ W. Marker is in Midville, Georgia, in Burke County. Marker is at the intersection of Jones Street (Georgia Route 56) and Lee Street (Georgia Highway 17), on the right when traveling north on Jones Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Midville GA 30441, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Savannah Road (approx. 2.5 miles away but has been reported missing); Bark Camp Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); a different marker also named Bark Camp Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Sherman at the Jones Plantation (approx. 5.5 miles away); Summerville (approx. 5.6 miles away); Old Town Plantation (approx. 7.9 miles away); The 20th Corps (approx. 10.4 miles away); Site of Capitol Building (approx. 16 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Midville.
More about this marker.
Sherman at Midville Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert Hill Powers, June 20, 2010
3. Sherman at Midville Marker
This is a recreation of the missing 1958 Georgia Historical Commission marker, installed in 2010. It is part of the Georgia Historical Society's new (2010)program to replace missing markers documenting Sherman's March to the Sea.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Robert Hill Powers of Midville, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,230 times since then and 121 times this year. Last updated on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Robert Hill Powers of Midville, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement