“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
El Campo in Wharton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Prairie Switch

Prairie Switch Marker image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 13, 2010
1. Prairie Switch Marker
Inscription. El Campo was known as "Prairie Switch" when it was established in 1881 as a siding and shipping point on the New York, Texas and Mexican Railroad, where cattlemen rounded up their herds for shipping. It was also a station for construction gangs working on the railroad. These workers frequently referred to it as "The Camp", and the name was officially changed to "El Campo" in 1890.
The town was laid out by the railroad and not by the compass, with two main streets that crossed each other north of the tracks. In the 1890's herds of cattle were bedded down on this very site, now named Evans Park.
This replica of an open depot is sponsored by the Beautify El Campo Extension (BEEs) of the Chamber of Commerce and Agriculture and the El Campo Museum Society. It is dedicated to the hardy men and women who settled this community, and commemorates El Campo's rich heritage during the Texas Sesquicentennial year of 1986.
Others making this project possible are Sorosis Club, Rotary Club, Women's Club, Sesame Club, Pilot Club, Lions Club, Jaycees, BLS Construction, Inc. and the El Campo Leader-News.
Location. 29° 11.76′ N, 96° 16.115′ W. Marker is in El Campo, Texas, in Wharton County. Marker is on Monseratte Street near N. Mechanic Street, on the
Depot Replica image. Click for full size.
By Steve Gustafson, June 13, 2010
2. Depot Replica
right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 156 E. Monseratte Street, El Campo TX 77437, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First National Bank of El Campo (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); El Campo Library Building (about 600 feet away); El Campo (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wharton County Courthouse (approx. 12.8 miles away); Site of World War II Prisoner of War Camp (approx. 14.2 miles away).
Categories. Railroads & Streetcars
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on October 20, 2016.
Paid Advertisement