Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Italian Workmen's Club

1922/1936

 
 
Italian Workmen's Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 4, 2010
1. Italian Workmen's Club Marker
Inscription. One of the few buildings remaining from the original Italian community in Greenbush, the Italian Workmen's Club was constructed by volunteer labor in 1922, with a major renovation in 1936. John Icke, local contractor and benefactor of the Italian community, assisted in the construction. The Club was founded in 1912 as a mutual benefit society for Madison's Italian families. The Club, still thriving, provides charitable benefits to its members, along with social activities such as the annual "Festa Italia."
 
Erected 1990 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 90.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.06′ N, 89° 24.112′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of Regent Street and North Park Street, on the right when traveling west on Regent Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 914 Regent Street, Madison WI 53715, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Greenbush (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Schmidt's Auto, Inc. (about 400 feet away); Spirit of Greenbush
Italian Workmen's Club Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 4, 2010
2. Italian Workmen's Club Marker
The marker is to the right of the front door.
(about 800 feet away); Longfellow School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bowen House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edward Klief Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Greenbush (approx. 0.3 miles away); Luther Memorial Evangelical Lutheran Church (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers regarding the Greenbush neighborhood.
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the building (pdf). (Submitted on April 11, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Additional comments.
1. More information about Italian Workmen's Club
One of the few buildings remaining from the original Italian community in Greenbush, the Italian Workmen's Club was constructed by volunteer labor in 1922, with a major renovation in 1936. John Icke, local contractor and benefactor of the Italian community, assisted in the construction. The Club was founded in 1912 as a mutual benefit
Detail on Italian Workmen's Club image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 4, 2010
3. Detail on Italian Workmen's Club
society for Madison's Italian families. The Club, still thriving, provided health and life benefits to its members, along with social activities such as the annual "Festa Italia."
Source: Madison Landmarks Commission (http://www.cityofmadison.com/planning/landmark/Madison%20Landmarks.htm)
    — Submitted July 22, 2010, by Diane Booth of Madison, Wisconsin.

 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal OrganizationsNotable BuildingsNotable Places
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 682 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement