Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Sauthoff House

1857

 
 
Sauthoff House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 4, 2010
1. Sauthoff House Marker
Inscription. At the center of the Third Lake Ridge Germanic enclave were the Hannoverian merchant tailor Friedrich Sauthoff and his family. Sauthoff and his neighbor, Michael Zwank, a mason, built this house of molded red brick. Its sturdy vernacular style derives from the Greek Revival and Italianate. The house remained in the Sauthoff family until 1917.
 
Erected 1977 by Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 51.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.645′ N, 89° 22.284′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is on Jenifer Street 0.1 miles east of Williamson Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 739 Jenifer Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kircher House (a few steps from this marker); Klose Cottage (a few steps from this marker); John George Ott House (within shouting distance of this marker); Madison Candy Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Timothy and Katherine McCarthy House
Sauthoff House Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, July 4, 2010
2. Sauthoff House Marker
The marker is between the two first floor windows.
(about 700 feet away); Hyer - Jaquish Hotel (about 800 feet away); B.B. Clarke (approx. 0.2 miles away); Biederstaedt – Breitenbach Grocery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Sauthoff House. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "Frederick and Johanna Sauthoff built this red brick house in 1857 shortly after they moved here from Hannover, Germany. Frederick Sauthoff was a tailor whose shop was on King Street. The Sauthoffs had several children, all active and gifted athletes and musicians. The house remained in the Sauthoff family until sometime after 1930. ...

"Only houses of the pioneer era were built in Madison of our local red brick, because it was a softer brick that was supplanted soon after the railroads arrived to transport heavy goods by the harder 'Cream City' brick from Milwaukee. The Sauthoff house is a simplified Italianate design with the signature Italianate eaves brackets."
 
Also see . . .  Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the house (pdf). (Submitted on March 20, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Additional keywords. Architecture
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 628 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement