Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Arnold’s Tavern

Washington’s Headquarters from January 6 to May 28, 1777

 

—The Morristown Green —

 
Arnold’s Tavern Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
1. Arnold’s Tavern Marker
Inscription. On January 6, 1777 General George Washington established his winter headquarters at Jacob Arnold’s Tavern, then located at what is now 20 Park Place. He occupied rooms on the second floor. His officers and men were quartered in every house and barn in the vicinity. A large encampment is believed to have set up tents in Loantaka Valley (between Woodland and Spring Valley Roads). Washington remained here until he left for Middlebrook on May 28, 1777. The Arnold Tavern was moved to a location on Mt. Kemble Avenue in 1886 and burned in 1918.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the George Washington Slept Here marker series.
 
Location. 40° 47.83′ N, 74° 28.89′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker can be reached from N Park Place, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is located on the Morristown Green. Marker is in this post office area: Morristown NJ 07960, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arnold Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Court House and Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); The Baptist Church on the Green (within shouting distance of this marker); The Green - 1715
Morristown Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
2. Morristown Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); Survey by Major Erskine of Morristown (within shouting distance of this marker); Continental Store on the Green (within shouting distance of this marker); The French are Coming (within shouting distance of this marker); The Alexander Carmichael House (within shouting distance of this marker). Click for a list of all markers in Morristown.
 
More about this marker. A picture of Arnold’s Tavern appears on the upper left of the marker.
 
Categories. Notable PersonsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Marker on the Morristown Green image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 5, 2010
3. Marker on the Morristown Green
The marker is seen here from the middle of the Morristown Green. This is one of several "The Morristown Green" markers found here.
Arnold’s Tavern Markers image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin
4. Arnold’s Tavern Markers
Arnold’s Tavern was located on Park Place, across the street from the marker. A blue marker indicating the site can be seen in this photo.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 974 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement