Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The Baltimore Maritime Museum
The US Lighthouse Service first assigned Lightship 116 to the Fenwick Island Shoal (DE) Station from 1930-33; after that assignment she marked the entrance to Chesapeake Bay until the beginning of World War II. During 1942-45 Lightship 116 was employed as an armed inspection vessel near the entrance to the Cape Cod Canal (MA). In 1945 the ship returned to the waters off Cape Henry (VA) where her bright red hull, beacon light and "Chesapeake" station designation guided maritime traffic in and out of the Chesapeake Bay for the next 20 years. In 1965, the Chesapeake Lightship Station was replaced by a Coast Guard offshore light tower and Lightship 116's final duty was to mark the approaches to Delaware Bay. In 1970 she was transferred to the National Park Service and used as a sea-going environmental classroom. Then in 1982 she was turned over to the city of Baltimore and she became part of the Baltimore Maritime Museum
Erected by Baltimore City Heritage Area.
Location. 39° 17.159′ N, 76° 36.526′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker is on East Pratt Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Located along the Baltimore Inner Harbor walkway. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baltimore Riot Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); An Active Port for 300 Years (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Top of the World Observation Level World Trade Center (about 300 feet away); USS Constellation (about 600 feet away); The Port of Baltimore (about 600 feet away); Exodus 1947: "The ship That Launched a Nation" (about 700 feet away); The Coast Guard Cutter Taney (approx. 0.2 miles away); Heritage Walk (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Baltimore.
More about this marker. On the left is a photo of Lightship 116 "Chesapeake" shown at her assigned station some 20 miles off Cape Henry (VA) c 1960.
Also see . . . LV 116 Chesapeake. From the Historic Ships in Baltimore website. (Submitted on July 6, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Categories. • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 980 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.