Columbia in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
St. Peter's Church and Ursuline Convent
Erected 1938 by The Columbia Sesquicentennial Commission of 1936. (Marker Number 40-34.)
Location. 34° 0.316′ N, 81° 2.258′ W. Marker is in Columbia, South Carolina, in Richland County. Marker is on Assembly Street near Taylor Street (South Carolina Route 12), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Located between Taylor Street (SC 12 westbound) and Hampton (SC 12 eastbound) Street. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia SC 29201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church (a few steps from this marker); The Big Apple (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Israelite Sunday School / Columbia's First Synagogue (about 600 feet away); Nathaniel J. Frederick House (about 700 feet away); North Carolina Mutual Building Taylor Street (about 800 feet away); Sidney Park C.M.E. Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington Street (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Columbia.
Regarding St. Peter's Church and Ursuline Convent. Built in 1906, St. Peter’s Roman Catholic Church is primarily significant as an excellent example of Gothic Revival church architecture designed by a major regional architect. St. Peter’s is also significant as one of the most important Catholic churches in South Carolina, established in 1821 and considered the “mother church” of many congregations in South Carolina, North Carolina and Georgia. It was designed by Frank Pierce Milburn, one of the most significant and prolific architects working in the South from the 1880s to the 1920s. Milburn, a Kentucky native, practiced throughout the Southeast, most notably in North and South Carolina. His work includes several railroad stations, several buildings at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and extensive enlargements of the South Carolina State House and the Florida State Capitol. Other notable Milburn buildings in Columbia include Union Station,
Also see . . . St. Peter's Church History. The first Catholics to settle in Columbia, according to the most reliable traditions of the parish, were a body of laborers brought to work on the canal in 1821. (Submitted on July 7, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,055 times since then and 103 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.