Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bolivar in Tuscarawas County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Fort Laurens

 
 
Fort Laurens Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Breth, circa October 2007
1. Fort Laurens Marker
Inscription. The first and only fort of the Revolutionary War, established within the limits of what is now Ohio, was built here in December 1778 by General Lachlan McIntosh, as a defense against the British and Indians, and held until early in August 1779 when it was relieved and abandoned.

It was named in honor of Henry Laurens, President of the Continental Congress.

The small garrison, commanded successively by Colonel John Gibson, Major Frederick Ward Vernon, and Lieutenant Colonel Richard Campbell suffered much from hunger and attacks by the Indian allies of Great Britain.

A number of American soldiers were killed here, and buried near the fort.
 
Erected 1928 by The Ohio Daughters Of The American Revolution on September 21.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution marker series.
 
Location. 40° 38.372′ N, 81° 27.34′ W. Marker is in Bolivar, Ohio, in Tuscarawas County. Marker can be reached from SW Park Avenue (County Route 102). Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bolivar OH 44612, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. In Commemoration of Our Patriot Ancestors (within
Fort Laurens Marker image. Click for full size.
By Carl Breth, circa October 2007
2. Fort Laurens Marker
shouting distance of this marker); Treaty of Greene Ville (approx. 1.3 miles away); Zoar Cemetery (approx. 2.1 miles away); Zoar Garden (approx. 2.5 miles away); Zoar Village (approx. 2.5 miles away); Zoar Town Hall / Zoar and The Ohio & Erie Canal (approx. 2.5 miles away); Ohio and Erie Canal (approx. 2.7 miles away); Zoarville Station (approx. 5.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Bolivar.
 
Regarding Fort Laurens. The Fort is no longer in existence but there is an outline of the old fort on the ground. There is also a visitorís center located there.
 
Categories. MilitaryWar, US Revolutionary
 
Fort Laurens Visitors Center image. Click for full size.
By Carl Breth, October 2007
3. Fort Laurens Visitors Center
The Ohio Society Sons of the American Revolution Marker Closeup image. Click for full size.
By Carl Breth, October 30, 2007
4. The Ohio Society Sons of the American Revolution Marker Closeup
“In commemoration of our Patriot ancestors who served with the 8th Pennsylvania and the 13th Virginia regiments at Fort Laurens from November 18, 1778–August 2, 1779. To assure that their sacrifice to the newly founded Republic was not in vain, we pledge ourselves to maintain in perpetuity these United States of America. —The Ohio Society, Sons of the American Revolution in the Bicentennial Year, May 9, 1976.”
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Carl Breth of Willoughby Hills, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,230 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Carl Breth of Willoughby Hills, Ohio.   4. submitted on , by Carl Breth of Willoughby Hills, Ohio. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement