Gormania in Grant County, West Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Grant County / State of Maryland
State of Maryland. Named for Queen Henrietta Maria, the wife of Charles I, who gave a royal charter to Cecil Calvert, second Lord Baltimore, in 1632. First settlement at Saint Mary’s City in 1634. It was one of the 13 original colonies.
Location. 39° 17.604′ N, 79° 20.745′ W. Marker is in Gormania, West Virginia, in Grant County. Marker is at the intersection of George Washington Highway (U.S. 50) and Mavis Avenue, on the right when traveling west on George Washington Highway. Click for map. It is at the bridge that crosses the Potomac and the Railroad, and into Maryland. Marker is in this post office area: Gormania WV 26720, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Ogden (approx. 3 miles away); By King’s Command (approx. 3 miles away); Highest Point on the Maryland State Roads System (approx. 3.6 miles away in Maryland); McCulloch’s Path You Were Gone Before We Knew It (approx. 7.5 miles away in Maryland); Preston County / Maryland (approx. 7.7 miles away); Hoye ~ Crest (approx. 8.4 miles away in Maryland); Charles Friend’s Home (approx. 8.5 miles away in Maryland).
More about this marker. Gormania is on the West Virginia side of the Potomac River, which is very close to its headwaters. The railroad which follows the river is the former Western Maryland Railway main line between Baltimore and Elkins West Virginia, now a CSX branch line between Westernport Maryland and Elkins West Virginia.
Also see . . . History of Mt. Storm Community. Written by D. W. Idelman in 1927. “The town which now has a population of about 400 inhabitants began its history when the country was opened up by the completion of the Northwestern Turnpike a few years prior to 1840. It was within this year that Jacob Schaeffer, grand father of J. R. Schaeffer, established himself here as the first settler in the place. He erected a log building which served as a dwelling and a store house combined. The place then received the name of Schaeffersville and Mr. Schaeffer
“The present town as we see it today began its growth when the West Virginia Central and Pittsburgh Railroad reached the place in about the year 1881 that received the name of Elkins in honor of Stephen B. Elkins, senator from West Virginia, and one of the stockholders in the road. The town since has received the name of Gormania, while the post office on the West Virginia side of the river and the railroad station on the Maryland side is called Gorman. ” (Submitted on July 11, 2010, by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia.)
Categories. • Political Subdivisions •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page has been viewed 793 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by J. J. Prats of Springfield, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.