Los Gatos in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Forbes Flour Mill
This is all that remains of the four-story stone flour mill built in 1854 by James Alexander Forbes. The town that grew around this building was first called Forbes Mill, then Forbestown, and finally Los Gatos.
Erected 1950 by California Centinals Commission, Los Gatos Lion's Club. (Marker Number 458.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the California Historical Landmarks, and the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 37° 13.334′ N, 121° 58.818′ W. Marker is in Los Gatos, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker can be reached from Church Street. Click for map. Plaque located on south wall outside Mill Annex - Forbes Mill Museum building, at the end of the driveway near Freeway pedestrian over-crossing of State Highway 17. Marker is at or near this postal address: 75 Church St., Los Gatos CA 95030, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. "The Cats" (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lexington Reservoir County Park (approx. 2 miles away); Lexington Reservoir (approx. 2 miles away); Augustus T. Dowd (approx. 3.7 History of Madronia Cemetery (approx. 3.8 miles away); Saratoga (approx. 3.8 miles away); Saratoga World War I Memorial (approx. 3.8 miles away); Grover House (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Los Gatos.
1. Forbes Mill
Text of plaque shown in Photo 2.
James Alexander Forbes, Scottish immigrant and enterprising businessman, boldly began building this gristmill in 1850. Forbes Mill was producing wheat flour from crops harvested in the southern San Jose area by December of 1855. Ebbing water supplies and increasing debts caused Mr. Forbes to sell his mill including 2,000 acres to Gustave Touchard on December 6, 1858. The headwater was raised 200 feet and a turbine replaced the old waterwheel in 1870. Settlements which thrived on the surrounding lands became known as “Forbestown” and renamed “Los Gatos” in 1887.
Dedicated April 30, 1994, Los Gatos Museum Association [and] Mountain Charlie Chapter No. 1850, E Clampus Vitus.
— Submitted November 7, 2007.
Categories. • Agriculture • Industry & Commerce • Landmarks • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 2,319 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mathew H. Kohnen of San Jose, California. 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.