Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wells in Hamilton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Sacandaga Public Campsite

 
 
Sacandaga Public Campsite Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 7, 2010
1. Sacandaga Public Campsite Marker
Inscription.
1885 - 1935
Campsite.
Sacandaga Public Campsite.
One of the First Two Built
On Forest Preserve Land In
1920 by the Conservation
Dept. For Public Recreation.

 
Erected 1935 by New York State Education and Conservation Departments.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps marker series.
 
Location. 43° 21.571′ N, 74° 17.33′ W. Marker is in Wells, New York, in Hamilton County. Marker can be reached from State Highway 30. Click for map. The marker is not visible from the state highway since it is posted beside the road within the campground. The marker is just beyond and opposite the caretaker's cottage in the campground. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1047 State Highway Route 30, Wells NY 12190, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Tennantville (approx. 9.8 miles away); The Adirondacks (approx. 10.1 miles away); Parkville (approx. 10.4 miles away); Site of Henry Slack's Store (approx. 10.5 miles away); Northville Depot
Sacandaga Public Campsite Marker image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 7, 2010
2. Sacandaga Public Campsite Marker
This roadway through the campground was at one time the site of State Route 30, which has since been relocated.
(approx. 10.7 miles away); Chimney Swifts of Northville, New York (approx. 10.9 miles away); Adirondack Inn (approx. 11.1 miles away); Early Settler (approx. 11.5 miles away).
 
Regarding Sacandaga Public Campsite. The Devil's Tombstone State campsite in the Catskill Forest Preserve is the other campsite referred to by the text on the marker.

Camping at the Sacandaga Campsite area was well established before development as a campground was begun in 1920. Known locally as "The Forks", it was a popular and well developed stop over camping site when limited traveling conditions required such areas. In 1923 it was considered as being the largest and best equipped of any of the campgrounds available at the time. Much of the campground was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps during the 1930's, with modernization being made during the years afterward.
 
Also see . . .  New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Sacandaga Campground. (Submitted on July 12, 2010, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
 
Categories. EnvironmentGovernmentNatural FeaturesNotable Places
 
The Sacandaga River image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 7, 2010
3. The Sacandaga River
Many of the individual campsites, and much of the day-use area is beside the beautiful Sacandaga River. The West Branch of the Sacandaga River, on the left, joins the Sacandaga River here at "The Forks". The bridge shown spanning the Sacandaga, on the right, provides access to campsites 61-119.
The Sacandaga River image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, July 7, 2010
4. The Sacandaga River
The shallow spillway across the Sacandaga was at one time the site of a wooden dam.
Sacandaga Public Campsite - Snowshoe Access image. Click for full size.
By Howard C. Ohlhous, March 13, 2011
5. Sacandaga Public Campsite - Snowshoe Access
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 942 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.   5. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement