Franklin in Heard County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The first known written record of a journey through this area was made by Hawkins. His system of accurate measurement by elapsed time between points, established at 3 miles an hour on horseback, and his description of streams and terrain make his way easily followed today. A short distance south of here is “a very extensive view westward,” described in his journal.
Erected 1959 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 074-4.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 33° 17.017′ N, 85° 6.427′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Georgia, in Heard County. Marker is at the intersection of Lagrange Street (Georgia Route 34) and Old U.S. 27, on the right when traveling north on Lagrange Street. Click for map. The marker stands in front of the Franklin Community Center. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin GA 30217, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Heard County Jail (approx. half a mile away); Franklin Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Heard County (approx. 0.6 miles away); Franklin Methodist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); William Hogan Plantation (approx. 14 miles away); Council Bluffs Treaty (approx. 14.2 miles away); McIntosh Reserve (approx. 14.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Benjamin Hawkins. An article on Hawkins and the origins of the Creek Wars. (Submitted on July 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
2. Hawkins' Agency and Grave. (Submitted on July 16, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Antebellum South, US • Exploration • Native Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 549 times since then and 73 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.