Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Lincoln School

 
 
Lincoln School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
1. Lincoln School Marker
Inscription. In early 1908, the Prescott School Board decided that a new school was needed in Prescott. On July 12, 1908, a school bond election was held and approved by the voters 119-1. In August 1908, the three acre site on Park Avenue on the west side of town was selected because it "was becoming increasingly popular as a residential area". The school was designed in a traditional style with Neo-Classical influences by architect W. S. Elliott and was to be constructed of red brick. A contract with Clinton Campbell was approved for $19,480. In late 1909, the north building of Lincoln School opened its doors. The first principal was Glenn Persons, who was also the principal of Washington School. The first fulltime principal was Miss Piper.

In 1930, Prescott schools were bursting at the seams, and Lincoln School, which was designed to accommodate 200 students, had an enrollment of 420. By that time, the west side of Prescott was "an established residential area growing larger by the day" and the decision was made to build an additional building on the southern portion of the campus at Lincoln School This building, too, was designed in a traditional style with Neo-Classical influences. This building was later expanded and in 1990 the multipurpose building which was designed by William Otwell, was constructed.

In 1999 Lincoln
Lincoln School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
2. Lincoln School Marker
School held its 90th birthday celebration, with many former teachers and students in attendance. Part of the celebration included a May Pole Dance, a Lincoln School tradition, and a flag ceremony. As Prescott's second elementary school, Lincoln School holds an important place in the history of the community. Lincoln School is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected by City of Prescott.
 
Location. 34° 32.437′ N, 112° 28.643′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on Park Avenue near Coronado Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 Park Avenue, Prescott AZ 86303, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Pauline Weaver (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Curtis Hall/ (approx. mile away); Arizona Pioneers' Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Arizona Pioneer Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); Granite Creek (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Pauline Weaver (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Mulvenon Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Fire of 1900 (approx. 0.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Prescott.
 
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
 
Lincoln School image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
3. Lincoln School
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement