“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Plymouth in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)

The Wilcox House

The Wilcox House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 3, 2010
1. The Wilcox House Marker
Inscription. This is the site of a Plymouth Landmark, the Wilcox House, built in 1903 by William Markham, inventor of the BB Gun and the co-founder of the Daisy Air Rifle Co. George and Harriet Wilcox purchased it in 1911 and here raised their three children, Julia, Katherine, and Johnston (“Jack”).

Originally, in the side yard, a continuously flowing fountain spilled over into a large reflection pool. A pergola, gazebo and statuary were focal points on the extensively landscaped grounds. The grounds also proudly displayed exotic plants, unusual trees and rare shrubs that Mr. Markham imported from around the world, including Amabilis Peonies, and Ginkgo, Black Magnolia and Copper Beech trees. During World War II, as part of the war effort, the home was converted into five apartments.

Fulfilling a bequest of Jack Wilcox, who was born in the house and lived there for most of his 83 years, the stunning 10 foot stained glass window, that was originally in the Solarium on the first floor, was donated to the Plymouth Historical Museum where it now creates a dramatic entryway display.

Just before he died in June, 2000, Jack Wilcox sold the property with the vision that an attractive condominium project would be built around the house and with the hope that the house would be preserved so that it might continue
The Wilcox House image. Click for full size.
By Joel S., July 3, 2010
2. The Wilcox House
to shine as a symbol of the City of Plymouth and serve as a vivid reminder of its storied past.
Location. 42° 22.194′ N, 83° 28.077′ W. Marker is in Plymouth, Michigan, in Wayne County. Marker is on South Union Street 0 miles north of West Ann Arbor Trail, on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 676 Penniman Avenue, Plymouth MI 48170, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rose of Aberlone (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baker House (about 700 feet away); Plymouth (about 800 feet away); Newburg Methodist Church (approx. 3.4 miles away); Newburgh Cemetery (approx. 3.6 miles away); George A. Custer U.S. Army Reserve Center (approx. 4.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church of Northville (approx. 4.3 miles away); Chief Tonquish Burial Site (approx. 4.4 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Plymouth.
Categories. 20th CenturyNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 889 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement