“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)

Washington School

Washington School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
1. Washington School Marker
Inscription. The first public school in Prescott was opened in 1867. In 1876 a four-room brick public school building was erected here. It was known as the "Prescott Free Academy". In 1903 that building was torn down and replaced by Washington School. Washington School was designed by D. Kilpatrick in a Classical Revival style. It was constructed of deep red brick with tuff and cement trim and "presents a handsome appearance from the exterior". The school opened on September 1, 1903. The bell from the Prescott Free Academy was hung in the belfry. In 1914 a second building was constructed northwest of the main school building for manual arts and domestic science classes. This building was torn down in 1979. A second annex building constructed in 1930 is still in use. The multi-purpose building was designed by William Otwell and was constructed in 1990.

Washington School is the oldest school building in Yavapai County which has been in continuous use as a school, and may be the oldest school building in Arizona still in use as a school. A 1903 article in the Prescott Journal Miner stated that Washington School is "one of the best, most complete and thoroughly equipped (schools)" and "means not only a great deal from an educational standpoint bur also from the standpoint looking to the material advancement of the City". Washington School stands
Washington School Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
2. Washington School Marker
not only as a reminder of Prescott's history, but as a bridge between the time-honored traditions of the educational past and the promises of the future. Washington School is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by City of Prescott.
Location. 34° 32.519′ N, 112° 27.919′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker is on East Gurley Street east of South Alarcon Street, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 300 East Gurley Street, Prescott AZ 86303, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club (within shouting distance of this marker); The Day Octagon (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hassayampa Inn (about 600 feet away); The Carnegie Library (about 700 feet away); Nob Hill (about 700 feet away); Sacred Heart Catholic Church and Rectory (approx. 0.2 miles away); Prescott National Bank (approx. 0.2 miles away); Knights of Pythias Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Prescott.
Categories. EducationNotable Buildings
Washington School image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 6, 2010
3. Washington School
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 635 times since then and 72 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement