Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Gaithersburg in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Schwartz House / City Hall Built 1895

 
 
Schwartz House / City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 3, 2007
1. Schwartz House / City Hall Marker
Inscription. The house that would one day become City Hall was built for Henry Miller, an active businessman in early Gaithersburg, and his wife Rosa. In 1913, the house was bought by Edward P. Schwartz, a Washington, DC real estate broker. Here he established a famous flower garden containing 410 varieties of peonies obtained from all over the world. The beautiful garden which stretched from the railroad tracks to what is now Hutton Street was visited by President Woodrow Wilson and photographed by the National Geographic Society.

The town of Gaithersburg purchased the property in 1958 as a prime location for a civic center in close proximity to the central business district, accessible from all parts of the city with room for expansion. In 1986, to accomodate the needs of a growing city government, construction began on a new office addition on the rear of the house. Making the town's past part of the city's future, the exterior of the Schwartz house was restored to its early restored to its early twentieth century grandeur. The building, with its new city council chambers and second-floor gallery, was dedicated to community use on Olde Towne Gaithersburg Day in 1989.

(picture caption): Edward Schwartz in his Peony Garden, c. 1918
 
Erected by City of Gaithersburg, Maryland.
Gaithersburg City Hall (Front) image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 3, 2007
2. Gaithersburg City Hall (Front)

 
Location. 39° 8.412′ N, 77° 11.627′ W. Marker is in Gaithersburg, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker can be reached from Summit Avenue near Old Towne Avenue. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gaithersburg MD 20877, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wells-Robertson House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Baltimore and Ohio Railroad Station (about 600 feet away); The Early Years (about 600 feet away); Building The Future (about 600 feet away); The Schwartz House / Gaithersburg City Hall / Schwartz Peony Garden (about 600 feet away); The Business of Agriculture: (about 600 feet away); Supplying an Agricultural Community (about 600 feet away); The Gaithersburg School (about 600 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Gaithersburg.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Mansion and City Hall image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 3, 2007
3. Mansion and City Hall
Gaithersburg City Hall (Rear) image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 3//2007
4. Gaithersburg City Hall (Rear)
Recreation Center and Playground image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 3, 2007
5. Recreation Center and Playground
Gaithersburg Concert Pavilion image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 3, 2007
6. Gaithersburg Concert Pavilion
Free concerts and plays are often performed here during the summer months.
Flags and Memorial Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 3, 2007
7. Flags and Memorial Plaque
The flags (from the viewer's left to the viewer's right) are: United States, Maryland, Montgomery County and the City of Gaithersburg. The emblems on the Montgomery County flag represent the signet ring of Richard Montgomery.
Memorial Plaque image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 3, 2007
8. Memorial Plaque
The text of the memorial plaque reads: In honor of those who served their country during World War II. Erected by the Gaithersburg Homemakers Club
Locomotive Statue image. Click for full size.
By Tom Fuchs, November 3, 2007
9. Locomotive Statue
Schwartz House / City Hall Built 1895 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 27, 2017
10. Schwartz House / City Hall Built 1895 Marker
Schwartz House / City Hall Built 1895 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 27, 2017
11. Schwartz House / City Hall Built 1895 Marker
Edward Schwartz in his Peony Garden c. 1918. image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 27, 2017
12. Edward Schwartz in his Peony Garden c. 1918.
Close-up of photo on marker
McShane Bell image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, February 27, 2017
13. McShane Bell
This 1891 bell which originally hung at the Interdenominational Church of God was given to the City of Gaithersburg in 2001. It is destined to be hung in a projected bell tower to be built in Old Towne Gaithersburg.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,308 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on , by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland.   10, 11, 12. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.   13. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page was last revised on March 2, 2017.
Paid Advertisement