“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Prescott in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)

Prescott National Guard Armory

Prescott National Guard Armory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 7, 2010
1. Prescott National Guard Armory Marker
Inscription. Prescott was one of the first towns in Arizona to have a National Guard Unit. Companies B and C of the First Territorial Rifles were organized in Prescott in 1865 and Company M of the First Arizona Infantry was organized in 1910. Company M of the 158th Infantry of the National Guard of Arizona received Federal recognition February 3, 1930. This Company originally used a church on South Montezuma Street as their Armory, but it was described as "totally inadequate".

The Prescott National Guard Armory, one of the largest and most prominent buildings on East Gurley Street, was designed by architect Orville A. Bell and was constructed on land donated to the State of Arizona by the City of Prescott. This was a portion of the property preciously donated to the City by Mr. & Mrs. Charles T. Joslin. A Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.P) project, construction of the Armory was begun on March 5, 1936 and completed in November, 1939. The Armory was designed as a vernacular structure with elements of Richardsonian Romanesque style in the decorative detail. The building is constructed of reinforced concrete with native ashlar granite facing and sandstone trim, red or black extruded mortar joints and a Lamelia truss roof. It was described at the time of completion as "fortress-like".

In July of 1980 the Armory, no longer needed
Prescott National Guard Armory Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 7, 2010
2. Prescott National Guard Armory Marker
Rear of marker is just to the right of center in photo.
by the Arizona Nation Guard, was deeded to the City of Prescott. Today it is used as a multi-use City Parks and Recreation facility. The Prescott National Guard Armory is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by City of Prescott.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. 34° 32.526′ N, 112° 27.511′ W. Marker is in Prescott, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker can be reached from East Gurley Street east of North Arizona Avenue. Click for map. Marker is on a metal post near the southwest corner of the building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 824 East Gurley Street, Prescott AZ 86301, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grace M. Sparkes (here, next to this marker); City Park and Ballfield (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); VFW Bucky O'Neill Post No. 541 (about 700 feet away); Citizens Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the O'Neill/Munds House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Washington School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Prescott High School and the Yavapai Club (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Day Octagon (approx. half a mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Prescott.
Regarding Prescott National Guard Armory.
Prescott National Guard Armory image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 7, 2010
3. Prescott National Guard Armory
This building is now the site of the Grace M. Sparkes Activity Center.
See Nearby Marker "Grace M. Sparkes" for additional information.
Categories. MilitaryNotable Buildings
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,824 times since then and 142 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement