Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Roxbury in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Daniel Cary House - 1771

 
 
Daniel Cary House - 1771 Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2010
1. Daniel Cary House - 1771 Marker
Inscription.
In 1778, soldiers ill with
small pox were brought
here to relieve the
overcrowding of the
Succasunna Presbyterian
Church, then used as
a hospital.

 
Erected 1976 by Morris County Heritage Commission.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission marker series.
 
Location. 40° 51.543′ N, 74° 40.746′ W. Marker is in Roxbury, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Emmans Road, on the left when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 208 Emmans Road, Ledgewood NJ 07852, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cary Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Flanders Historic District (approx. 1.3 miles away); Morris Canal (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Morris Canal   1824 – 1924 (approx. 1.9 miles away); Silas Riggs House (approx. 1.9 miles away); King House Museum (approx. 2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church at Suckasunny Plains (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also named Morris Canal (approx. 2.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Roxbury.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Markers/Historic Preservation
Marker on Emmans Road image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2010
2. Marker on Emmans Road
. Morris County Heritage Commission. (Submitted on July 17, 2010, by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey.) 
 
Categories. Notable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary
 
Daniel Cary House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2010
3. Daniel Cary House Marker
1771 Daniel Cary House image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2010
4. 1771 Daniel Cary House
Succasunna Presbyterian Church image. Click for full size.
By Bill Coughlin, July 17, 2010
5. Succasunna Presbyterian Church
This church, built in 1760, was used as an arsenal and hospital for the Continental Army in 1777. As stated on the marker, some patients from here were transferred to the Daniel Cary House.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 807 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement