“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarkdale in Yavapai County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)

Clark Memorial Clubhouse

Placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 29, 1982

Clark Memorial Clubhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 7, 2010
1. Clark Memorial Clubhouse Marker
Inscription. Clarkdale was planned, owned and developed by William A. Clark of Montana, owner of the United Verde Copper Company on Cleopatra Hill in Jerome. In 1911 Clark decided to change from the extraction process of mining to an "open pit" method. Because of their position at the top of the mine, both the smelter and the railroad terminus had to be relocated. The search for a new smelter site led to the founding of Clarkdale.

The Clubhouse was built as a memorial to William Andrews Clark after his death in 1925. With his bequest of $100,000 for a clubhouse, work began. The plans were designed by Fitzhugh & Byron of Phoenix, and were overseen by Clark's sons and grandsons. The building contains an Auditorium, Ladies Lounge, Kitchen, Reading Room, and Men's Lounge. The Auditorium was used for huge dances with live music provided by the mining company as well as theater productions and funerals. The ladies played cards in the Ladies Lounge and cooked festive party meals in the Kitchen. The men discussed business and played pool in the Men's Lounge while smoking a strong cigar purchased from the soda fountain. The Reading Room contained newspapers and magazines from all across the country. The entire building was adorned in copper details, down to the copper screens on the windows. Many of the original furnishing still adorn the rooms. A two lane bowling alley in the basement has since been removed, however, the outdoor swimming pool in the back of the building is still a popular summer get-away for Clarkdale residents. The building
Clark Memorial Clubhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 7, 2010
2. Clark Memorial Clubhouse Marker
is now used for community events, rented for special occasions and is the meeting place for the Town Council and town boards and commissions.
Erected by City of Clarkdale.
Location. 34° 46.323′ N, 112° 3.396′ W. Marker is in Clarkdale, Arizona, in Yavapai County. Marker can be reached from North Ninth Street north of Main Street. Click for map. Marker is on a metal post at the far east side of the parking lot for the Clarkdale Town Complex. Marker is at or near this postal address: 39 North Ninth Street, Clarkdale AZ 86324, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. United Verde Copper Company Smelter (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Main Street Primary School (approx. 3.6 miles away); The Gibson Market (approx. 3.6 miles away); Jerome's Famous Sliding Jail (approx. 3.6 miles away); Sullivan Apartments (approx. 3.7 miles away); Laura Williams Memorial Park (approx. 3.7 miles away); Bartlett Hotel (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Saloon (approx. 3.7 miles away).
Also see . . .  The Town of Clarkdale. (Submitted on July 19, 2010.)
Categories. Notable BuildingsNotable Persons
Clark Memorial Clubhouse image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, July 7, 2010
3. Clark Memorial Clubhouse
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 693 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement